Thread: Air Filtration Units

Air Filtration Units

I was planning on building an Air Filtration Unit, but the only blowers I found were relatively expensive-plus when discussing this
    with my family, they decided to buy me one for Father's Day !
    Currently it will be used in a "big" full basement-but I am planning on framing a dedicated "lean room/paint room".
    So, thoughts on:
    1. Delta 50-875
    2. JDS 750ER
    3. JDS 8-12
    4. JDS 10-16
    5. Something else?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Blog Entries
    Gable fan from Lowes, $35. 20"x20"x1" filters on clearance $3. Scrap plywood to build the housing, free. 1000 CFM of double filtered air, priceless.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Phil - I have the Jet 10000B and like it. Get a washable electrostatic filter. It collects alot of fine dust and I like to keep it fairly clean.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    Gable fan from Lowes, $35. 20"x20"x1" filters on clearance $3. Scrap plywood to build the housing, free. 1000 CFM of double filtered air, priceless.
    could you post the link to that fan?
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

I have the JDS 750(earlier unit) with the washable electostatic filter and it is a must! You would not believe what it accumulates in a few days. I even thought of getting another one to use near my DC. The new ones have a timer, so you can let it run awhile when you leave the shop. My advise is to bite the bullet and buy a good one........your health is worth it!

Like Jeff, I have an older JDS 750 with the washable filter and it's excellent. But you know...the only time I even turn it on is when I'm spraying (water borne) finish. Dust collection at the source is the preferred method for containing dust. Remember, these air filtration systems only "catch" dust that you are already breathing. They do help reduce the amount of fines that "land" on your surfaces from a housekeeping perspective, but have really no effect on personal health.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, it does draw dust to the filter fairly quickly and doesn't linger in the air forever. Sure, you are going to breath some dust, but not nearly as much as you would without a unit. Haven't seen a miter saw that didn't spray particles everywhere! If you have it located in a good area, then most of the dust will be trapped before it gets to you.

General Internatinal

another option
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the JDS 750 unit and am very happy with it. It seems to be the standard the other units are compared to, and they seem not to meet that standard.
    Last edited by Ron Jones near Indy; 06-23-2006 at 5:33 PM.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I made my dust filter out of an old kitchen range that had a dual squirrel cage blower in it. Designed it myself to be able to use 2 12x20 and 1 20x20 furnace filter. It really helps keep the air a lot cleaner. I frequently take the filters outside and blow them out with an air hose and reuse until I feel they need changing.

Sometimes, old blowers can be had cheaply from a HVAC installer or check on ebay.