Thread: Methods of sealing and hanging metal pipe.

Methods of sealing and hanging metal pipe.

I'm looking for feedback on how you sealed and hung sprial or snaplock pipe. I was looking a a latex sealant vs. foil tape. Those of you that used foil tape did you tape first then screw it together? So not to have the screw heads from hold the tape out? Did any of you use both? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery
    I'm looking for feedback on how you sealed and hung sprial or snaplock pipe.
    I put my snaplock pipes together with 3 sheet metal screws at each joint and sealed it with silicone sealer. Hung it with metal pipe strap wrapped around the pipe, secured with a small bolt, and attached to the ceiling joists with drywall screws. Six months later, everything seems to be doing fine.
    Regards,
    Dick

For my dust collection system I sealed the length of the snap-lock with foil tape. Connections between pieces were made with three or more sheet metal screws and clear silicone caulk. If the pieces are oily, you may need to clean them to get a good seal. I used a variety of supports including wood blocking and metal pipe strap.

-- Dale

Hi Russ,
    I secured all joints with 3 pop rivets and sealed all gaps with the grey colored duct sealer used by the HVAC pros. I used the 1" strapping to hang the pipe and all is working well. JCB.

Hung with 24" heavy plastic "wire ties" from the 'borg. Where necessary, I made wooden brackets out of 2x2 material and drilled a 1/2" hole through it to capture the ties...vertical drops on the walls, for example.

Sealed with heavy foil HVAC tape from an HVAC supplier. ('borg may have it, too) The only place I used pop rivets is in high stress areas. Otherwise, the tape is more than strong enough. The rivets can be a pain if you need to reconfigure things, so again, I only used them where I felt them to be necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...