Thread: Hand-Type Grinder

Hand-Type Grinder

Anyone use a hand-type grinder (w/a 6inchwheel) for their sharpening? And where would you find one? I was just reading an article about a woodworker who, for his work, thought it a better method than the electric route.

I keep one in my portable shop demo trailer for emergency use while demoing.
    requires another person to turn the crank while you manipulate the blade. Biggest advantage is the slow speed to keep from overheating the blade.

Farm sales, Antique shops, etc. A friend had a collection of around a 100 different ones that he donated to the farm museum and I hauled them down there.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

In fact I used it last weekend, A lady in old time garb asked the hobby blacksmith at the event if he could shorten her Hat Pin, he brought her up to my demo area, and I cut the pin off, clamped the grinder to a saw table and he turned the crank while I ground a sharp point on the pin. LOL
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

This one works great

I can turn the handle and hold the blade at the same time with this one. I love it. Advantage is that you can go slow and grind right down to the edge of the bevel without overheating. Less work to shape the bevel and then hone, that way. Found at a flea market. The bee's knees for carving tools. Good luck, Ed
    Grinder.JPG

Yep, I use one.

I literally (ouch) trip over them at car boot sales, which is of zero practical help when there's an ocean twixt me and you... Never could get anyone to volunteer to crank it for me but I found using the Veritas grinding jig helped a lot when I was starting off, although nowadays I can manage without.

Cheers, Alf

6. I have used one for years and find it to be the perfect tool for grinding. I bought mine at a flea market many years ago, but I think they are quite common.
    Rob Millard

Surely it could not be too hard to put a treadle on these, doing away with the need for an offsider - or leaving two hands to work with.

Does anyone make a new updated version of these grinders. Around here I've only seen junkers at shows and such.

I think some of the old grinders are better made than the new ones.
    I found these Pike Co. grinders on Ebay. Search for "hand powered grinder".They will email you when a new one turns up. Expect to see some real junk. But eventually some nice ones do.

I have a pink stone mounted on the Artisan and a hard felt wheel with green buffing compound on the Domestic.
    Mike

P.S. ALF, Love the plane reviews on UK Work Shop. Just got a LV BUS!!! This site needs more Smilies. The ones on the Austrailian WW sites are outrageous.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Chrest; 06-27-2006 at 3:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton Findlay
    Surely it could not be too hard to put a treadle on these, doing away with the need for an offsider - or leaving two hands to work with.
    This is not hard at all. Leave the handle on. What I have done, is to take the handle and put it in the lowest position (bottom dead center-BDC) and tie a rope to it. The rope should then run down to a board about 18 inches or so long (mine was a piece of plywood about 6 inches wide) with a hole in it at one end. Put the rope through the hole and tie a knot so that the board is about 1 inch off of the ground at BDC. Now, you will start the grinder by hand and you can keep it going by foot power (pumping the board up and down, like a gas pedal) leaving both hands free to hold the tool to the grinder.

Works great. Matter of fact, I have mine attached to the same table as my Tormek and dry grinder (I call it my sharpening station as it has all of my stones in it too.)

Robert