Still new to this forum, but learning a lot!

From NORSE WOODSMITH: A Pair of Planemaker's Floats (edited by me for brevity)
Another option was brought up by english plane maker Bill Carter, in an interview

Interviewer:
Do you use floats or anything else for the beds?

Bill Carter.
I've got floats but I never use them. I mainly use a modified chisel.

[snip]

On truing beds:

Although ..[snip]... Get a normal woodworking chisel - any width - and heat it up to cherry red, then quench it. The chisel then becomes exceptionally hard and it will even cut steel. If you then grind the end of it to make it ninety degrees it will scrape timber like nothing else. It won't dig in, but it will remove high spots like they weren't even there

I thought i'd try this, however i'm wondering if I quench by default in oil assuming that the steel is O1? The chisels I own are mostly old used ones bought you know where. (Note: one of these days i'll post some gloats about the shop and tools, for the time being too many things to do and the shop is a disaster area!) I've made a couple of wooden planes for emergencies and i'd like to make a few more that I won't think of using for kindling. I'm also thinking of using a couple old chisels for actual floats as found in Garrett Hack's book on planes (old chisels cheaper than tool steel!). Thanks in advance for any advice.