Thread: Hanging upper cabinets in a pole barn?

Hanging upper cabinets in a pole barn?

So here is my delima;

I had a pole barn constructed for my shop and I am finding it difficult to figure out how to hang cabinets on the finished walls. The barn is constructed with 8"x8" posts set 8' apart. Then wraped with 4 rows of 2x4 strapping. Insulated and then ribbed metal sheeting walls on the interior (same as the exterior).

So, since I don't have stud walls to attach to is it sufficient to merely attach to the horizontal strappings? I would like to use a French cleat so that I can move things around. Would it be OK if lagged a 2x6 horizontal across the wall tieing into the posts? Then I could just hang the cabinets from there.

One other thought I had was to attach vertical strips to the walls maybe using 3/4" plywood and attach to the strapping or post every 4-6 ft accross the wall. These would go floor to ceiling and then transfer the load across the entire structure.

To answer the obvious question I dont plan on putting anything heavier in the cabinets than normal. (whatever that is). I figure the weight of the carcass and then the contents would strain a 2x4 with 8' on center vertical support over time. Am I just being parinoid?

Also, I want this to look nice. Right now the walls look good with the white ribbed sheeting. I would hate to build a framing skeleton on top of the walls to hang the cabinets that also make the shop look crappy.

Thanks.
    Jeff

Jeff, I know it's too late for you now, but when I had my metal bldg built, (similar constr to your pole barn, except the "Poles were 5" x 5" metal and the cross wrapping was 2 x 4 metal also), Sooooo......anticipating using a french cleat all around two of the walls, I had them weld in a 2 x 8 metal member between all the Poles at the appropriate heights for installing both an upper cleat, AND a lower cleat to attach cabinets to. the Drywall or 5/8" paneling covers it all up, (but I know where it is):rolleyes

I would think that since the metal sheeting is screwed into the 2 x 4 strapping, (I would assume on both the inside and the outside sheeting), they will add some strength to the 2 x 4's and would probably hold up your cabinets if they're not TOO heavy. Otherwise, any beefing that I can think of, (without removing the inside sheeting and beefing it up underneath and reinstalling it) would detract from the "Looks" of your walls.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Norm
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 06-27-2006 at 2:58 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Depending on the width of your run, I might even consider a 2x10 or 2x12. Also if it's not too intrusive, I'd add a couple vertical supports along the way. The verticals can be smaller, 2x4 or 2x6. The horizontal 2x4's won't give much strength in bending as you've already surmised.

I had to remove some of the steel siding on the inside of my shop to add additional purlins so the cabinets could be fastened at a comfortable height. I added 2 rows of purlins that would line up with the top & bottom of the cabinets. Just used 2x4 material. The cabinets have been hanging there for 10 years, no problems.
    I also put 3/4 spacers on the back of the cabinets so they were tight with the flat surface of the steel siding & not touching the ribs.

Ed