Thread: Walnut and Hickory bowl

Walnut and Hickory bowl

<P>Yeah, it's me again.
    <P>Here are some shots of a Walnut and Hickory bowl I turned over the past couple of weeks.

<P>The bowl measures 10 3/4" OD x 4" high. The base measures 3 1/2" in diameter, while the walls are about 3/8" thick.

<P>This bowl started life out as a solid roughed out bowl which was air dried for about a year. It measured about 9" od x about 1 1/2" high.

<P>I turned it true about a month ago and let it acclimate to the shop. After a weeks time I trued it up again, and let it sit for a couple of days more. Upon inspection, I found it hadn't moved. I judged it ready.

<P>I had planned on adding alternating Maple and Walnut rings to it. But I decided that Hickory would make as nice a contrast as Maple. I also decided to add 1/8" thick spacers of contrasting wood to each ring. The first ring was Hickory with a Walnut spacer. The next was Walnut with Hickory spacers. You get the picture from there.

<P>On a tip from Wally Dickerman, I kept the topmost ring Walnut, with no contrasting spacers. I think this really helps to "frame out the piece".

<P>For some reason, when I dry sand Walnut, I don't get as nice a finish as when I wet sand. So this bowl was wet sanded with mineral oil to 1500 grit. I made sure to wipe off the excess mineral oil with mineral spirits before allowing this bowl to dry for a week.

<P>After that time, I applied a coat or two of Woodcraft's Urethane Oil and allowed this to cure for a couple of days. After which the bowl was then buffed with the Beall System.

<P>Thanks for viewing
    <p><font color="#000099"><b><i>See ya around,</font></b></i>
    <p><b><font color="#000066"><font size=+1>Dominic</font></font></b>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Looks good!

Looks good from the cheap seats....... Nice looking bowl. I like the contrasting woods. Is this a home bowl or is it sold?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

simply awesome!
    chris

That's really attractive, Dominic! Good contrast and a pleasing pattern.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

zounds

Dom, that is one outstanding piece of turning.

Danged lathe guys,

b (no lathe - YET)

Outstanding, as always Dominic. Now THAT'S where I wanna be someday! Absolutely beautiful bowl, all the way around. Thanks for sharing the Photo Dominic, I always enjoy viewing your fine work.

That's an incredible bowl with a really pleasing pattern, Dominic
    JB

Close to it

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    Is this a home bowl or is it sold?
    <P>Mostly everything I turn from here till Xmas will be up for sale. I have a couple of people here at work who have requested large salad bowls. But for some perverse reason, they always favor the opposite color woods I have made my most recent bowl from. And always the wood I'm extra low on.

<P>If it's a dark bowl
    <P>"Oh thats nice! Do you have any in Spalted Beech?"

<P>If it's a light colored bowl
    <P>"Oh thats very nice! Do you have any in Cherry?"

<P>ARRGH!

<P>See ya around,
    <P>Dominic

Thanks for all the compliments!

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! They are much appreciated.
    Dominic Greco

Cool

Excellent work, as usual, Dom! I gots to learn me how to do them one 'o these years! Oh, and I think Wally was right on about the uppermost ring. It really does put all the real beautiful work in a frame of its own! Nice job!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!