Thread: Drilling a Rockler router plate

Drilling a Rockler router plate

For those who have had to drill a Rockler 1/4" router plate - what kind of a bit did you use to drill the hole and a countersink? I have seen two posts (not sure where) but both had sent it out to a machine shop. I have the standard size blank Rockler plate and want to mount a M12v. Thanks
    Dan McLaughlin

I have three of these plates. I had to drill two of them for my PC 7537's.
    Be sure and oriante? where you want the router positioned on it before doing anything.
    Then remove your sub base and center it on the rockler plate. Mark your mounting holes with a felt type pen. Then center punch those markings. Then use a standard twist drill bit slightly larger than your screw that holds the sub base to your router. Then use the counter sink to fit your screw heads to the hole. The counter sinking works best in a drill press.
    Steve

You may want to mount a centering bit/jig in the router to precisely locate the router before you mark for your drilling points and center punch them. I would recommend you drill and countersink on the drill press so you have more control. Drilling aluminum is easy with a normal twist bit and it's soft enough that a regular cone countersink will do a good job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks to all for the info. Drilled the plate today and put the M12v in its new home. Everything went well until the last countersink. Somehow I managed to line it up a lttle off-centered, but not enough of a problem to prevent the attaching of the Hitachi to the plate. Again, thanks for all the help.
    Dan McLaughlin