Thread: Wooden windows

Wooden windows

I'm remodeling an old house(1910) for my daughter and she wants to keep the old wooden windows. But they are draughty. does anyone know where you can get the seals that they use on these windows that go between the sliding window and the frame.

Thanks

Fred Mc.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    There is a local jobber that routs out your existing sash adds, weather stripping and provides foam and prastic jambs for a $40.00 fee. can't find a manufacturer but I have seen them at the Borg and in home improvement mags.
    He provides mounting clips and instructions as part of the package.
    Not a double glazed window but a great improvement over the old ones.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

sash kits

If you go to an old fashioned lumber yard, and talk to a salesman who has been there for years, you might be able to buy sash kits. They just
    measure the old frame and make new sashes and supply you with weatherstrip and everything you need to install them. Haven't checked
    on sash kits for years, but they used to be available. Be sure you put
    storm windows over the windows to protect the wood from wet weather. Jim

My parents said the same thing about their 1860's house for almost 25 years. Last year they finally had custom vinyl windows installed. Even with the huge increases in gas prices, their heating bills were lowest my mom could ever remember, save for when they used to heat with wood in the early-mid 80's (when they could make us carry all the wood ). Their windows are arched, but with a storm window, it hid the arch. The window company made a nice trim piece that filled the arch and the house looks better than ever before. On top of the energy savings, they no longer have to deal with cracked glass (at least a couple panes would crack every winter.) and the windows no longer fall when the pins that held them open weren't inserted right--something that resulted in at least one ER trip for one of my brothers--and more cracked glass.

I would try to talk her out of keeping inefficient windows. Double pane low E glass sash kits are available at Menard's. I put these in our house and the energy savings has been incredible. Our house is just over 100 years old and there is no difference in the appearance of the windows. There is a huge difference in our heating and cooling costs.

Just a comment on keeping wooden windows or not.

I too one an old money pit...um I mean antique house. I believe you have to be careful when you make improvements to an old house. If it is actually somewhat historic or antique them making the changes turn it from a beautiful antique house to and old house and your price and market will suffer.

Antique houses have a charm that draws a certain type of clientele and price. Old houses are just old.

I have a lot of old style aluminum storms on my house but the windows are all original. Parts of this house date back to 1767 and the builder was a Sargent in the colonial army fighting at Lexington and Concord.

But even with that, I'd prefer a maintenance free new plastic home

Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

I have not used this website but there may be some useful information for you in regards to weather sealing

http://www.conservationtechnology.com/

Look in the section in the left hand margin and at the bottom is the button marked "Weatherseals".

As for getting more efficient windows, I have heard this but nor sure if it is true. I order for you to realize the savings, the windows first have to pay for themselves in money saved on heating bills and energy consumption. This would take a pretty long time as I understand it.

Just my .02.

Regards,
    Chuck

For all the benefits touted from replacing windows, keep this in mind for Energy Star: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...vement_windows

An older home with vinyl windows loses its charm up close over the original wooden windows. The jamb seals discussed are a good way to seal the leaks and retain the original windows.
    Chris

I have installed many replacement sashes made by Marvin. THey call them "tilt packs" and they are completely custom meaning you measure the sash opening and specify the light layout for the muntin bars and the muntin bar thickness is even an option(?). I taught my banker friend how to measure and install 1 and he did the other 24 in his house w/o any problems. They come with insulated glass and they are about $550 per window but air infiltration is 0 and they operate smooooooothly. THey might even come vinyl or aluminum clad now I dont know. Good luck.