Thread: psa veneer and waterbased stain

psa veneer and waterbased stain

Hi all. I am refacing my kitchen cabinets with psa veneer from oakwood veneer. They recommended this product and said it is perfect for refacing cabinets.The cabinet company that is supplying the fronts also stock the various stain colors that go with the particular color you have chosen for your fronts. The stain they carry is a waterbased stain. My question is will the waterbased stain have any affect on the veneer? The veneer company said to let the veneer cure for about three days or so and it should be ok before staining. I am just curious if anyone out there has had any experience with anything like this, before i do a whole kitchen and start to have problems.I just don't want anything to buckle or lift because of the water in the stain.Oh and by the way the veneer is cherry, and the backing on the veneer is 3m which is supposed to be very good.

Thanks for any feedback
    Steve T.

Quote Originally Posted by steve tomaselli View Post
    Hi all. I am refacing my kitchen cabinets with psa veneer from oakwood veneer. They recommended this product and said it is perfect for refacing cabinets.The cabinet company that is supplying the fronts also stock the various stain colors that go with the particular color you have chosen for your fronts. The stain they carry is a waterbased stain. My question is will the waterbased stain have any affect on the veneer? The veneer company said to let the veneer cure for about three days or so and it should be ok before staining. I am just curious if anyone out there has had any experience with anything like this, before i do a whole kitchen and start to have problems.I just don't want anything to buckle or lift because of the water in the stain.Oh and by the way the veneer is cherry, and the backing on the veneer is 3m which is supposed to be very good.

Thanks for any feedback
    Steve T.
    As the company that supplied the PSA veneer is ok with staining, then I would have thought they would know. I've used 3M PSA backed veneer before and, although I've never stained it (Shellac and Arm R Seal instead), I find it difficult to believe its going to react to a WB stain. Their PSA is very strong and hasn't shown any sign of buckle or lift.

If in doubt, do a test panel on a piece of scrap wood with the veneer - you might need to do this anyway to ensure the color of the stain matches the supplied finished fronts.