Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to finish walnut?

Matt, if you like the look of the shellac (and remember, this is a personal preference decision), put on the amber (or orange) shellac and then use a nice alkyd varnish to top it off. You'll get the color you prefer and the protection of a film finish. Poly is great for floors...but way over marketed for furniture. (I actually spray water borne over the shellac when I need the extra "protection" since I don't usually us oil-based varnishes)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2. Hello, I am working on a 1790/1810 walnut presentation case for a set of Charles Moore English Flintlock Dueling Pisotols. The walnut is about 100 years old (was up in my Dad's hayloft since the turn of the "previous century".. Anyway, very well air dried.
    One other post I read, the author recommended 1 part Tung Oil, 1 part Urethane, and 2 parts Turpentine, for layer upon layer. I may go that route, for a nice hand rubbed look, but are there any other ideas? Thanks,
    And just a quick photo of the wood prior to stain:

Stain

Stephen,

What "stain" did you put on your walnut presentation case?

Bill

Wow...this thread is old...it has two gentlemen who have moved on from this world.

Anyway, I find a nice oil (BLO, varnish/oil mix) followed by clear shellac to be my favorite. I like my walnut more chocolately so I often dye it using an NGR stain from Behler...then oil...then shellac.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I agree on the dye if you want it to stay chocolate. I like the garnet shellac; color is a personal choice.

Check my album the walnut was dyed TransTint Dark Walnut (30% sap wood was used) then garnet shellac; then satin varnish.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 09-01-2010 at 12:30 AM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Hello all,
    I am looking for advice/help and maybe it was already given, but a simplified explanation would be appreciated.

I am making a simple entertainment center (read coffee table with shelves) out of walnut veneer plywood. I have no idea how the wood was dried. I was looking for a simple way to keep the beautiful dark color, have it look nice and be protected(i have a 2yr old, i'm sure there will be spills. People talking about 9+coats with mixing different dyes for 3 different coats, all this is a bit beyond my current level (first time making something). I was hoping for a more simple process. This was the best help i have found after quite a bit of looking and was hoping if you guys could help me nail this down. My rough interpretation of a simplified method was to use Shellac and then seal it (this was recommended to me: oil based ARM-R-SEAL urethane topcoat) and there is quite a bit of shellac options, so if someone would point me in the right direction i would much appreciate it.

Thanks