Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION: Possible Downtime (Resolved)

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    This may be a not so smart question. But how do we know the new IP address? Will we be automatically transfered from the old IP address to the new IP address?
    Bart, we as members, don't have to know the new IP address to get to SMC. That part is taken care of by the DNS (Domain Name Server), which takes the SMC written (www.sawmillcreek.org) address and directs it to the proper IP address. Outside of having to possibly blow away the "cookie" in your browser, so that it may accept a new, fresh one, there is nothing more you should have to do. Logging back in w/your password will be part of that process.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Service Providers: Can't live without them...can't shoot them...

Good explanation of DNS , Art.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Good explanation of DNS , Art.
    Hey, I got through that whole thing and I didn't even ONCE mention DNS.
    Let alone root servers, default routers or the dreaded time-to-live number...

Glad that it was a little clearer than mud. Now, can we go back to waiting for Marty to post some pictures? That at least, we can all understand. (see, that thing going on in the Turner's forum? To me, that is even more confusing than explaining DNS.)

Blog Entries
    Hey guys, thanks for all that you do to provide us with this great site. I only visit maybe two or three websites each day with regularity and this one is certainly one of them.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

It seems that Cox owes Aaron and Keith their "hourly rate" for time needed for correction of the error obviously committed by Cox. That rate should be pretty darn high since their weekend time is involved.

I want to add my thanks for all that Aaron, Keith and Jackie do for us to keep the waters of the Creek flowing clean and swift.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Bump................

bump...............

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    bump...
    Bump...
    Uh guys? You sure you're not looking for this thread?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all who keep this going. Speaking as a network engineer, your ISP should be shot or at least credit you a couple of months of service fee ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Service Providers: Can't live without them...can't shoot them...
    Uh, yeah...sort of.

If'n ya say "Upstream service providers: Can't live without them...can't shoot them", THEN I'm with ya!

-Mike
    Who in a round about way works for a small one.

The real reason for the post was a quick bump.

Say WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Point being, if the NOC at Cox re-assigned our IP addy to someone else, this would indicate to me that their record-keeping leaves something to be desired. Sorry for the rant but, that's the way it would be handled at our NOC at the University where I work and trust me when I say that we handle an outrageous amount of ranges, subnets and VLANs! :
    Hey Spring,
    Sorry bud but your post is the best arguement that I've heard yet to make ENGLISH the official language of the USA!! With regard to the "University" that you mentioned, is it dedicated to searching for Yetis, Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster?

I'm truly sorry that, to date, your efforts have only resulted in finding NOCs, IPs, subnets and VLANS!! Who knows but with TRUE dedication, you guys may even discover Jurassic Park - Part 17!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Hey Spring,
    Sorry bud but your post is the best arguement that I've heard yet to make ENGLISH the official language of the USA!! With regard to the "University" that you mentioned, is it dedicated to searching for Yetis, Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster?

I'm truly sorry that, to date, your efforts have only resulted in finding NOCs, IPs, subnets and VLANS!! Who knows but with TRUE dedication, you guys may even discover Jurassic Park - Part 17!

Dale T.
    "Please press 1 for Geek Speak." "Please press 2 for Spanglish." "All others please hold on the line until Abdul is done feeding his camel and he will assist you in person."
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Angry X@#$$^^

I live in Hampton Roads Area from '85 to '90. Cox was just a lousy cable company then, I see they still haven't changed.
    Mark

Opps--BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

The DNS administrator should reduce the time-to-live (TTL) of the site's DNS entry to a short duration, like 10 or 15 minutes, well in advance of the IP address change. This will cause all those DNS caches out there in the world to expire the IP information quickly, minimizing the downtime associated with the IP change.

By the way, the TTL for www.sawmillcreek.org is only 1 hour right now, so except for broken DNS caches, the net should notice your new IP address within an hour.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Maybe this is just a blessing in disguise. If the site goes down for 3 days it means I can go fishing for 3 days without having to perform any moderating. .
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.