Thread: Proper oil to use when using oilstones?

Proper oil to use when using oilstones?

Hey guys,
    Quick question. I am about to do some initial shaping of some older plane irons and am going to be using a carborundum medium/coarse oilstone. What is the proper oil to use with this? I am thinking about trying mineral oil because I think I read that was the best oil to use somewhere before. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks a bunch.

I don't know about proper, but kerosene works quite well. Just a little drip will do.

Ken

Kerosene? Interesting. My thought is that it would evaporate while you are using it. I assume you have done it and like you said it works well so I'll take your word for it. Kerosene doesn't have any lubricating qualities does it?

Kevin

It doesn't evaporate too quickly, is rather light and thin, so there's no issues with the viscosity of the oil slowing you down. I think it is a good lubricant, but I could be wrong there. And yes, it is what I use when I use an oil stone. [But my main honing system is a Norton waterstone].

Hi again Ken,

I too, use waterstones for actual sharpening (1000/4000) but like I said, I just want to do some shaping before honing. I like your idea with the Kerosene because it is nice and light and wouldn't clog up the pores of the stone like some thicker oils might. I am doing some shaping tonight so I'll relay my thoughts after I try it.

Kevin

Kerosene does have a slight lubricating property to it, but using it alone causes the stones to clog up faster than using it in a mix with an oil. The kerosene acts to thin the oil down to get a better cutting action from the stone. Years ago I used just kerosene also but found that by using oil-kerosene in a 2-1 ratio I got the best of both worlds. Quicker cutting and good flow of the steel from the stone.

Awe damn Brent!

Now you got me thinkin twice about what to use . I guess that the beauty of opinion though . thanks guys for your responses.

When I don't have a bottle of approved honing oil around, I've been known to use 20-50 motor oil and WD-40, does well on knife blades.
    Not sure how it'd work on wood working blades.

Al who likes Kendal GT the best.... and also has 3 cases of it left from racing...

10. I use just about anything. Mineral oil Motor oil milti voscosity oil, 3-in-1 oil, auto transmission fluid; seriously I use whatever is ready to hand. I have had the same stones for over 30 years and they are all fine.

I have used 3 in 1 all my life and had good results with it.

sorry to throw a curveball at this post but what is the best way to flatten an oilstone? Thanks again for all your wisdom.

Lee Valley's coarse lapping grit on a piece of plate glass does the job.

You can also simply rub two oilstone against each other. In the past, I used to true them up on a surface grinder, carefully using hold-downs to secure it to the magnetic chuck.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Ditto Cliff on the 'just about anything'. Heavier oils will make the stone saturated and require cleaning. But, just about anything will work. You might want to ask the Neanderthals. I think they use dinosauer fat.