Thread: Powermatic planner restoration #1

Powermatic planner restoration #1

Started my next project yesterday. Restoration on a PM-100 planner. I can't nail down the dates on this one, what I have found says it was built between 1950 and 1955. The good thing is it is old enough not to be be green! Or worse, Mustard color that Powermatic is so found of. Sorry guys but I think PM made some great machines but needed some help in the color department.

Disassembly was easy except for the head. It didn't want to come out easy. Ended up having to drive it out. As a result I am going to need a couple of new pulleys but casualties are the just the price you have to pay sometimes. Don't mean that flippant, I just could find no other way to get the shaft out. the casting is to big to put in a press.

I have it down to the bare casting and this looks like a pretty simple restoration. Motor is an old Century 2 hp that needs work. It will go the motor shop tomorrow morning. The cutter head is going to have to go the machine shop for a little press work. The rest looks like clean and repaint and replace type work. Very straight forward. Just dread buying the belts and putting them back in place. I think there were 5 belts inside the machine!

Oh, I can't wait to see what you do with this puppy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    The good thing is it is old enough not to be be green! Or worse, Mustard color that Powermatic is so fond of.
    Some day I'm going to have to restore an old tool, just so I can paint it it vibrant purple. Or maybe black with orange/red flames. (Hey, I was never into Hot rods...)

Who says tools always have to be grey or green!

...art

I am not sure if you are the same person but are you the guy who refinishes and rebuilds older machinery.

If so,

1) Where and how do you come to get these older machines?

2) I enjoy watching the metamorphasis that these machines go through.

Regards,
    Chuck

Jeff, that monster looks like alot to chew on. Good luck, and don't forget to show the after pictures.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilson
    I am not sure if you are the same person but ....

Chuck
    I am not sure if I am the same person either? But I have posted two previous restorations so I will answer and assume your talking to me. Even so there have been a couple of other restorations on here too.

1. Where?
    Well, I was living right and got blessed. I found a whole 40's-50's cabinet shop of machines at one time. One of those once in a life time (if your living right) type of deals.

But, Ebay is a one place to watch.

Join the group at Old Wood Working Machines They just started a new forum this week so they are still working out the bugs. So you may have a problem joining.

If you live in the NE or Northern part US your odds are probably better. Seems to be more there than anywhere. California too.

Watch the government auction sites. I see a lot of stuff on there. But, often it's a gamble if it is not in your area. But with G'ment you just assume the worst because (from what I hear) it probably is.

Just get the word out and be patient and most of all be diligent and keep looking.

2. Thanks. I just admit I have found I really like restoring these machines almost as much as using them. I have a shaper and a couple of drill presses left to do. Going to fell sort of lost once I get them done.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    Some day I'm going to have to restore an old tool, just so I can paint it it vibrant purple. Or maybe black with orange/red flames.

Like this?

Of course you know that you go hell and have to work on tools like this an dress like this to use them don't you?

Well, I admit that I am not a big fan of gray machines. But I couldn't find another color that I liked. I wanted to paint them all bright red, Seriously! But some day I might want to trade or sell them. And the traditionalist in me won out.

Besides the work restore means:
    To bring back to an original condition.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 07-09-2006 at 6:11 PM.

A year ago I rebuilt a 25 year old Canadian made Poitras planer. It had more moving parts that I care to remember. Some of the parts were still available, however most had to be machined.
    This was a very challanging and satisfying project.....
    I only payed $475.00 for the machine, but the cost to rebuild was near the $700.00 mark.
    I believe that I ended up with a machine that could not be replaced today at any cost and Im sure you will too.
    Good luck, and please be sure to post finished pics.

I am not sure if you are the same person but are you the guy who refinishes and rebuilds older machinery.

If so,

1) Where and how do you come to get these older machines?

2) I enjoy watching the metamorphasis that these machines go through.

Regards,
    Chuck
    Chuck:

I got my machines through a variety of source:

Radial arm saw--family
    Oscillating spindle sander--Ebay
    Craigslist--Table saw
    Old Woodworking Machine (OWWM.com) ad--Jointer, mortiser
    OWWM friends--Bandsaw, lathe
    Local Auction--Shaper
    Local woodworking store--Planer

Any or all of these can work, with patience. The OWWM.com ads are good to find a variety of machines, but you may have to wait to find one close enough to go get or which matches your specific needs. And of course you'll probably have to do a restoration unless you buy a machine from somebody "moving up". The SMC ads here also have stuff, but most good deals move very fast here. Talk to your relatives and local woodworking friends and let them know you're looking for a x, y, or z machine. Go to the local woodworking store (Woodcraft, Rockler etc) if there is one and tell them your looking for used machines (while you're buying supplies to get them in a good mood.) They may know of somebody selling, say a customer who just bought a Unisaw and wants to dump his contractor saw. Your local paper probably will have small stuff (table-top saws & DP's, for instance) fairly frequently.
    There's also used machinery dealers. Many are on the web. You'll pay more than the usual person-to-person or estate sale price, but you'll be able to get what you want right away, and they will usually ship.

Kirk Poore
    who's garage is holding 5,000 lbs of cast iron, almost all operational...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    Like this?
    If Pink is your favourite colour, why not!

As for the dress... well, first I don't think I have the legs to pull it off.
    But more importantly, loose clothing like that is just not safe in the shop...

Kirk and Jeff,

I live in Binghamton which is in the Southern tier of NY. We just got a Craigslist here but not much has been on it.

Jeff - Have you restored a table saw lately? The pink machines are CLASSIC. The saw looks like it is from a drive-in/nostalgic restaurant. Neat looking.

I will take a look at OWWM.com.

Thanks,
    Chuck-

Pm 100

Jeff, Of all the machines that I have rebuild the my Powermatic 180 was one of the easiest. Mine is a 1968 version. If your motor is shot replace it with a 5hp, PM put 5's in a lot of 100's. I dumped my original cutterhead and put in a Terminus and have not looked back, nice clean cut. Put your table and outfeed rollers in your lathe and shine them up with some brown Scotch-Bright pads and they will look better then new. The brown pads and some serious elbow grease will also do wonders for your table.

Good luck,
    Jeff Singleton

I live in Binghamton which is in the Southern tier of NY. We just got a Craigslist here but not much has been on it.

Jeff - Have you restored a table saw lately?
    Craiglist is a joke here (ref. old or new wood working tools) So I understand. But you never know!

Yes, I just finished up a '48 Unisaw a couple of weeks ago.