Thread: Finishing Quater White Oak Dresser

Finishing Quater White Oak Dresser

Quatersawn White Oak dresser, top is two pieces of 13" book matched.
    Lots of nice flecks, which is very nice
    I believe BLO first, then Sealcoat, than spray on laquer.
    Or do I need multiple coats of BLO
    I plan on multiple coats on laquer.
    Thanks, Tim
    Ouch that splinter hurt

One coat of BLO is all you need. And if you are willing to wait just a couple of days longer for the BLO to cure you don't need the Seal Coat (It won't hurt much but isn't really needed.) Lacquer will go over cured BLO quite handily. It doesn't have the adhesion problems that polyurethane varnish has.

Be careful that the lacquer film isn't so thick that you don't get rather cheap looking rounded over grain. Make sure to do a test on scrap to see if it really looks like you expect. My personal preferences would have either a "in-the-wood" finish, created with an oil/varnish mix like Watco, or for a very formal look a fully filled finish, where you use pore filler (probably two coats) to fully level the grain.
    Last edited by Steve Schoene; 07-12-2006 at 9:07 PM.

Angry

I did not think White Oak had to be filled. Closed cell.
    But, then I am still learning.
    The finish I am looking for is smooth. I have as much time as it takes.
    I use a product called Timbermate for filling wood floors. I could thin it down and use this.
    I really like the way BLO pops the grain without going to staining the piece. And the Wife gave her OK.

Guess I have to make more samples

PS. why is there a mad face on the top of my post?
    Last edited by Tim Devery; 07-12-2006 at 11:13 PM.
    Ouch that splinter hurt

Only need one coat of BLO. One coat of shellac. I usually like to go with at least 3 coats of lacquer sprayed on. I do a very light sanding after the shellac application. Usually no other sanding is required. I am fairly new to woodworking and have used this system on several projects and love the results. I used Target Coatings waterbased lacquer, I have never used oil based so I have nothing to compare it to, but I like the results.
    Last edited by Jim Benante; 07-13-2006 at 2:01 PM.
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps

Water borne "lacquer" is not at all similar to solvent based nitrocellulose lacquer--the name is basically misleading. The water borne should have the dewaxed shellac to aid in bonding, but solvent based lacquer doesn't need this aid.

White oak still has very large pores that would be quite visible when coated with a couple of coats of varnish but not filled with pore filler. These pores are closed off so the wood isn't nearly subject to penetration as is red oak, but still need filling for a really smooth surface under a film finish.

Also be aware that if you are filling the pores, pigment in the pore filler allows lots of variation in the overall look. A good place for some experimentation.