Thread: Router Performance Question

Question Router Performance Question

I currently run a PC 693 1.5HP router in my router table. I won't go into how it happened but I manged to break the fixed base part of the set. I know the cheapest way would be to just replace the fixed base but I'm not sure thats what I really want to do.

I currently don't have or use any large diameter bit so the 693 has been able to handle all my routing needs so far. My question is this, if I replace the 1.5HP router with a larger, say 2.5-3.14HP, router will the bits I currently use perform better? Will that extra HP make chatter less likely? I'm assuming that with a larger HP router the feed rate could also be speeded up, true? So what do you think, get a big honking router or just replace my broken base?

If it were me I'd do both. Keep the smaller router for hand work and get a bigger one for use on the table..Of course that easy for me to say since it's not my money. I currently have three router. The biggest one stay in the table the other two are for hand work, one being a trim router.

Blog Entries
    I went from a 2HP to a 3.5HP and the difference is substantial. Chatter is usually caused by a dull bit, lack of featherboards or some instability in the feed path. If there is a problem with the bit, the feed method or such I would think the more power would only make it more likley that you will not be able to overcome the problem through brute force IMHO.

P.s. The 2HP was a Ryobi with a plastic motor housing and a machined aluminum base. The 3.5 is a Milwaukee with a nicely machined motor housing and base so there is probably some improvement right there even without the power increase. . . my 2 cents.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm with don on this one keep the small PC for the hand work and get a larger for the table like a m12 or simular.
    Larry

" My question is this, if I replace the 1.5HP router with a larger, say 2.5-3.14HP, router will the bits I currently use perform better"

Yes they will, in general. More fly-wheel improves on chatter and efficiency. Cutters that burn or deflect in your smaller router, however, will only get worse with more power. Moreover, big routers break cutters more frequently so expect more of that (with skinny cutters in big routers).

Given a tough cutter in a big router, anti-kickback design for example, expect superior results in faster cutting time.

Routers