Thread: Product recall

Product recall

Ryobi Radial Arm Saws Recalled for Blade Detachment Hazard
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Ryobi Radial Arm Saws

Units: About 145,000

Manufacturer: Ryobi Motor Products Corp. formerly of Anderson, S.C. ("RMP"); Ryobi Electric Tool Manufacturing, Inc. formerly of Chandler, Ariz.; and Ryobi Limited, of Hiroshima, Japan.

Hazard: Cracking of the plastic motor housing can cause the blade assembly to fall during operation, posing a risk of laceration to the operator or bystanders. The detachment may occur unexpectedly and without warning.

Incidents/Injuries: RMP has received five reports of detached blade assemblies, including four reports of lacerated fingers to the saw operators.

Description and Models: The recall involves all RA200 and RA202 radial arm saws. These are bench top models with 8 ¼-inch blades. Each unit has a data plate immediately behind the operator grip for the saw, which says "RYOBI 8 1/4" Radial Arm Saw" and either "RA200" or "RA202."

Sold at: Home and hardware stores nationwide from 1986 through 1997 for between $200 and $300, and higher in some instances.

Manufactured In: The United States and Japan

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using these radial arm saws and contact Ryobi customer service to arrange to return part of the saw for a payment of $75. No repair is available.
    Lori K

Thaaaaaat would not be good. And their only going to give the owners $75!!!! What a rip!!! Give them another saw. I'm sure that the folks who got their fingers almost (or fully) cut off can tell Ryobi what they can do with their $75.

I'm going to the flea market this weekend and find one of those and buy it. Then I'll cut my fingers a little and then I'll be able to buy a whole shop full of (non)Ryobi tools.

Stupid Ryobi.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 07-14-2006 at 11:37 AM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Sounds like a plan crafted by their liability insurance company. Offer the customer a small incentive to take their saw out of service. If the customer chooses to continue using their saw and gets injured, Ryobi can deny any claims of liability because they offered a solution and the customer refused it....case closed your honor!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.