Thread: Garage Sale Gloat- Shopsmith

Thumbs up Garage Sale Gloat- Shopsmith

Went garage saling and found an old Shopsmith. I know, I know... but it was a bargain. For $75 I got a (1956) model with the standard attachements and a jointer attachment. My thoughts are to sell the jointer attachment and essentially end up with a so-so lathe, disc sander, and horiz. borer for FREE... Won't use the saw or drill press- already have. Unit is missing the headstock spur center and one handle, but came with 3 saw arbors(sell), and lathe tools!

All I was looking for was a sander- glad I went. Anyone else use an old Shopsmith for alternate machines???

Bruce Foley

Sounds like a good deal to me. The only downside I can see is if you don't have any room. but you are right the disk sander and horizontal boring would be nice to have for free.

Yes. Bruce. I keep a shopsmith with a six inch belt sander that I use regularly. I also use the machine as a horizontal drill. There are some operations which can be done on the Shopsmith that are hard to duplicate easily with the other machines. But I would never go back to having a Shopsmith as my primary tool.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

I've got 2

I have my first power tool ever still, a vintage SHopSmith 10ER (1940's) and a few year old Mark 5 that was my Dad's. Very well built machine's, but I still prefer the stand alone machines. Still, both do and have done everything I have asked them to. Great find there.