Thread: creeker visit & first turnings

creeker visit & first turnings

Met up with andy hoyt when i was home in canada for vacation, invited him to my boss` house in st. stephen n.b. We traded some wood, got a nice piece of cherry, left him some BERMUDA Cedar, australian cypress and some walnut dowels. He gave me a quick lesson on how to hold my tools relative to the wood, what an incredable difference when i got back to the lathe[1946 delta milwaukee 12 "]. pic 1 shows my very first attempt at turning, an oak malet, 2 3/4" round, 12" long, next to it is birch, it is shorter only because that is when the gouge stopped gouging , right malet i tried a few rings. The pens were fun, 1st pic shows 6 slims in australian cypress, cigar in blue & green burl, pic 3 are bermuda cedar. Thats me and andy at the end, his voice reminds me of a 70`s disk jockey, i can hear him now, gooooooooooood mooooorrrrrning KSMC, here`s one to get you started..........the byrds, turn turn turn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    johnnyinnb
    He`s a block off the old chip

Excellent turning inspite of who gave you the lessons..

By the way he didn't try to get you to drink any Moxie did he..

Quote Originally Posted by john blanchard
    Thats me and andy at the end, his voice reminds me of a 70`s disk jockey, i can hear him now, gooooooooooood mooooorrrrrning KSMC, here`s one to get you started..........the byrds, turn turn turn
    Yup! That's our Andy!!! You oughta' hear him bellar, "Git 'er done!" Bet it was a fun visit and sounds like Drew left a bit of his knowledge with you, as well! Nice job on the mallets, pens, et all! Andy is certainly on my "short list" of "Creekers I have to Meet"!!! Creeker visits are truly the best!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

forgot to post my first bowl, a little ash number.
    johnnyinnb

just a pic to put it in perspective, it started as a 3" block, once again this is where the gouge stopped gouging.
    Last edited by john blanchard; 07-19-2006 at 8:15 PM.
    johnnyinnb

Looking good John.
    For a real treat, you should see Andy tear into a bowl of grits!

Looks good John! Great stuff!

Corey

I love the second bowl pic. It must have been hard getting your power sander down into the bottom of that bad boy.

Great bunch of first turnings. And glad to see you survived a visit with Andy. Something tells me visiting Andy would be a little...uh...different.

- Vaughn

You're right Vaughn. Everytime I meet up with him it scares the bejeebers outta me and I need a Moxie just to get the blood pressure settled back down.

Hey, John! It was a true pleasure to spend some time with you and Tom. That house was unbelieveable. First Cabin job all the way around!

That my two-cent (Canadian) two-second demo on gouge tactics didn't result in a trip to the emergency room is reassuring. Hang in there. It comes.

And folks - those pieces he's showing are awfully nice to behold in person. This guy is no slacker. But he did play one on TV once - you'll have to get him to tell the story one day.

He also handed me this huge grainsack full of australian cypress, bermuda cedar, and something else that we couldn't identify. It's way too much stuff for me to deal with, so I think a couple of care packages are in order. Does anyone know any brand spanking new woodturner types at the creek that I could schlep this stuff off to?
    Only the Blue Roads

John: That's some really nice wirk you've posted. I especially like the bowl---it's just plain cute!

Andy: Oh. Dear. God. Not only are we Abysserating and drinking Moxie, but here soon you're going to have us all doing the Time Warp as we slide down the Vortex. Hm... It ought to be fun.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

And folks - those pieces he's showing are awfully nice to behold in person. This guy is no slacker. But he did play one on TV once - you'll have to get him to tell the story one day.

thanks for the kind words andy, looking forward to see what someone who knows what they are doing can make with that bermuda cedar, your little lesson did wonders, i actually had fun with the skew after , my claim to fame is I did the install on the bermuda house cabinets for THIS OLD HOUSE, it was a lot of hanging out with norm and kevin, but they were behind schedule so they didn`t have time to film me inslalling, i ended up in the background as my boss did all the talking . Thats me on the left, boss on the right and a couple other guys who snuck in there .
    johnnyinnb

Blog Entries
    John those are some nice turnings I think your bowl is cool. Looks like it would almost qualify for a Saki cup...what do think Stu??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf