Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What wood for kids building blocks?

Just about any wood should work for blocks but close grain woods seem to be preferred.

Here is a block wagon, based on the New Yankee Workshop, that I made for my niece a couple years ago. The blocks are scrap maple with cherry letters scrollsawn and glued on. I used Salad Bowl finish just to reassure the family that it was food-safe even though most any finish is food safe once cured.

I also made about 150 blocks out of 2x4 scrap for my wife's classroom that were all spray painted (what a pain). They seemed to hold up very well also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Thanks for the suggestions. I think beech is our winner. The pic was on the money, and I think the 'hardness' is about right too.

Thanks!

As an aside, I found 'kid colored stains' at Rockler which I plan to use to stain them. Some folks mentioned size. I pulled the size from my Parents old block set. It's the best sized blocks I've seen (having played w/ them as a kid...and maybe some recently too. Strickly to help my kids ) I've never been able to find blocks this size anywhere. Barclay block are the closest in size, but not colored (which I like) and they are pricey!

The size of the 'basic block' was 3 1/2" by 1 3/4" by 7/8" thick. Then the had some half and double that size - 1 3/4"x 1 3/4"x7/8" and 7" long. Then various cuts which are all ratios of the basic block - rounds, wedges, 1/2 the width, etc.

But nice sized block. So looks like I got my work cut out for be before Xmas.

thanks for the wood suggestions. I believe Beech is the winner, although Ash and maple may be my final product.

Perry

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    The kind you get from trees

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.