Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello to Everybody

Hello to Everybody

I would like to intoduce myself a bit to all the other members.

My name is Erik and am I really into DIY. I love to make furniture (copies of the famous Gerrit Rietveld furniture) and projects in and around the house. Most times my own place and frequently at friends and family.
    I do have a small workshop in my garage of around 3x5 meters (i am from The Netherlands that's why).

At the moment I am planning a new project and that is building a router table with the lifting system in it. Anybody suggestions?

Thank you and talk to you sometime later on.

Erik Stol

Welcome Erik...
    You found a very comfortable place to discuss your love of DIY and furniture making.
    Can't wait to see some of your projects. Feel free to send pictures.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Cool Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Can't wait to see some of your projects. Feel free to send pictures.
    Welcome aboard, Erik! Glad to have you and I think you'll find this to be a very friendly and informative place. Stop in *often*! Oh, and don't just "feel free to send pictures", but just DO so! All of us here LOVE to see projects both, in progress and completed! Enjoy your stay! (Sorry I can't help you on the router lift. Haven't gotten that far myself, though I'm sure someone will chime in with suggestions.)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

G'day Erik.
    Welcome. You are not the only non-American on this forum, so don't feel lonely.
    Don't be shy about joining in.
    I have to ask ...... Do you fit a car and a workshop into a 3 x 5 metre garage? I have a dedicated 6 x 7 metre shop, no cars in there, and still have problems fitting everything in.
    I guess we have a little more space per head of population here in Australia than you do, and I am lucky enough to be on a 2000 square metre block of land.
    For the Americans....... 3 x 5 metres is 10' x 15' roughly, 6 x 7 metres is 20' x 21' roughly and 2000 square metres is about a half acre.
    For a picture of Gerrit Rietveld's famous red and blue chair go to
    http://www.steelform.com/redblu.html . Interesting stuff.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Glynn
    G'day Erik.
    Welcome. You are not the only non-American on this forum, so don't feel lonely.
    Don't be shy about joining in.
    I have to ask ...... Do you fit a car and a workshop into a 3 x 5 metre garage? I have a dedicated 6 x 7 metre shop, no cars in there, and still have problems fitting everything in.
    I guess we have a little more space per head of population here in Australia than you do, and I am lucky enough to be on a 2000 square metre block of land.
    For the Americans....... 3 x 5 metres is 10' x 15' roughly, 6 x 7 metres is 20' x 21' roughly and 2000 square metres is about a half acre.
    For a picture of Gerrit Rietveld's famous red and blue chair go to
    http://www.steelform.com/redblu.html . Interesting stuff.
    Rob
    Thanks for your response Rob. I know it sounds funny, that I mentioned the space of 3x5 meters. The other 3x3 meters is a smaal pantry. About the size of a garage in the Netherlands. 3 or 4 meters wide by 8 meters is a normal size. Remeber that The Netherlands are the most crowded nation in the world. About 430 people per square km.
    I am sure you posted the link to the Red and Blue chair for all the other members. I have in my livingroom, and believe it or not it sits rather comfortable.
    As soon as I have a digital camera I will post some pictures.

Erik Stol

Welcome aboard Erik, Pull up a log and stay a while. You will enjoy your time on the Creek.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Erik.

You are right. I posted the reference to the blue and red chair for the Americans. I don't know how well Gerrit Rietveld is known over there.

I have a passing interest in architecture, mainly aroused by having looked at a number of Frank Lloyd Wright houses and buildings in Wisconsin and in Illinois in the US. I was there a few years ago on a vacation. I have seen pictures of Rietveld's work in books and on the internet.

Wright also designed furniture and quite a bit of it is now located in various buildings he designed, and is on display to the public. It looks wonderful but is often uncomfortable and impractical.

I am glad to hear that Rietveld's chair is comfortable. I wondered about that as it appears to be very "architectural", that is, designed for its appearance rather than for its comfort.

Don't take that to be critisism. Practical, comfortable furniture is not always good to look at and good looking furniture doesn't always perform its function very well. I have a number of old, restored pieces that I love for their appearance but which really don't suit their present purpose. Our TV sits on a 100 year old boot cupboard that my wife found in a junk shop, and our sound system sits on the shelves of a 75 year old kitchen dresser that we bought for $10 and was my first major restoration project some 35 years ago.

Do post some pictures. We all learn from looking at the work of other people.

Hi Erik

Erik -

Glad to have you here at the Creek. Welcome. Always good to have an international perspective.

Ted

Blog Entries

Welcome!

Pull up a rock and dangle your feet. Glad to have you with us. We look forward to seeing your projects. I have a manual lift for my router (pick it up and make adjustments) so I can't offer suggestions for your automated one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Welcome Erik !! Pull up a bucket and 'set a few'.

I for one really enjoy having members from other nations as it brings a perspective that is different than ours. And I like looking at things in a different way than usual.

I can't wait to see some of your work and hear more from you.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Welcome Erik

Glad to have you wade into our (not so) little creek. Like others said - it's nice to have an International perspective on things. There are a lot of nice people here that know a lot about woodowrking & DIY stuff.

Definately don't be a stranger & we do like to see pictures of projects.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Stol
    I would like to intoduce myself a bit to all the other members.

My name is Erik and am I really into DIY. I love to make furniture (copies of the famous Gerrit Rietveld furniture) and projects in and around the house. Most times my own place and frequently at friends and family.
    I do have a small workshop in my garage of around 3x5 meters (i am from The Netherlands that's why).

At the moment I am planning a new project and that is building a router table with the lifting system in it. Anybody suggestions?

Thank you and talk to you sometime later on.

Erik Stol
    Hi Eric:
    Let me say welcome to the Creek!
    Really nice people here, and very helpful.
    You will like it.
    You shop is about hte same size as many of our posters here.
    For you Yanks ( He's got roughly 10 feet by 16 feet of space)

Bob

Blog Entries

Smile Welcome

Erik,
    Welcome to the "Creek". Lots of good people here that really enjoy talking about woodworking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Welcome Erik,

Glad you happened our way. As the others have said, this is a great place to hang out and share sawdust tales.

Bob

Hi Erik! Welcome!

Todd.