Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #4 Blade question

sorry, didn't mean to start a fight

sorry, didn't mean to start a fight. I was just having a bonehead moment and asked for alittle help. I was the cap iron set a littlt to close now she take quite nice shavings.
    I didn't pay much for the 604c either just $10 at an antique store. I tuned her up quite nice. I would not have paid the $200 dollars it normally cost to get one. I hope to find more this way.
    I live in a small town in Pa and don't have access to nice woodworking stores and don't know anyone around that is profiecent in handtools to give me lessons and tips. Sometimes people in my situation need to bite the bullet Like I did with Mike's saw just to see what a particular tool should work like. you can read all you want on the internet but without the feel it hard.
    I have been a power tool guy for awhile, and over the last year have been buying some old planes, saws, and chisels. and finding incorporating these into my projects are making them turn out nicer and more satisfying.

Bob

bob, you`ll find that hand-n-power tools mix well. if your bedrock is of the round top design and you later decide you want to trade it in on a ln or lv plane i use and collect the early corrugated bedrocks and may be interested? .....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

[quote=. . . .I've accumulated a fair number of planes in a short time so I could do a variety of things. . . . . . thirty in three months? I'd never get any woodworking done. . . .[/quote]

Do I understand you have bought 30 planes in 3 months and none were "used"? You must be one of LN/LV's best customers..... <slight plane envy here>.

regards.Rich Niemiec

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser

Personally, I think the internet these days is chock full of "tool experts" who couldn't get jobs as basic form carpenters, doing outright harm spreading ignorance and snobbery. .
    boy, you don't mind a fight Bob....but, I know where your coming from....

I guess, there's only so many hours in the day. If somebodies fascinated by blades, tools and sharpening and puts his time there,,,,well

Same problem with some carpenters I know......I work with some on the occational job.....plenty of them don't know where to begin with sharpening a tool.....One bloke I new, with all his experience, thought it was good enough sharpening a blade by dragging it along the cement....

He thought that was just fine,,,,,rarely used the chisel of course, cause it was hard to use.....and stood back in shock when he borrowed my chisel, clipping a rafter, when he forgot his chisel one day......

But, I do know where your coming from though....bothers me sometimes too.....There is plenty of old tools out there already to cover everything one needs.....The new stuff mostly isn't necessary.....but still nice to own them though eh

Originally Posted by Bob Smalser

Personally, I think the internet these days is chock full of "tool experts" who couldn't get jobs as basic form carpenters, doing outright harm spreading ignorance and snobbery. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Darvall
    boy, you don't mind a fight Bob....but, I know where your coming from....
    Heck, he is right! Someone like Bob, who does this for a living. is published in at least one national magazine posts something and 5 other so called experts have to tell him his wrong, why it won't work, a better way to do it..... just pick one. When most of them don't do it for a living and are probably just glorified tool collectors. Yes Bob, you hit the nail on the head.

There are a few people that I really respect and when they speak, I LISTEN! But they get so little respect they don't post much and I don't blame them. IT is a terrible loss to those of that come to learn from them.

Now I am going back to my corner and staying out of this.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell
    sorry, didn't mean to start a fight.
    ...snippity snip...
    Bob
    Ah, Bob, you didn't start nothing. Mostly a bunch of us trying to get points across in a PC-sorta way. Beats a brawl down at the tavern [I'd lose that anyway <g>].

Sometimes I use new, sometimes vintage. I, like everyone else I know, have a mixture of both. Same with powered tools.

It is efficient to use a mix of both. Heck, most of these coveted vintage tools were made with powered tools anyway. Whether line-shaft power or electric once that day came. The Shakers had a fairly mature view of using both human and non-human-powered tools.

Now that the shop is closed down, I find myself on the side of less powered tools than when the shop was going. Sort of came full circle as I grew up using hand tools near exclusively. Over the years leading up to the shop, there was still more hand tools used than powered tools. The shop changed that.

Now I consider myself a hobbyist again. I cannot say I enjoy the process more without the powered things. I enjoy making things from wood no matter how.

I buy tools as the mood strikes or time allows based on need, with a little of want thrown in. Many times those tools are vintage for the savings, sometimes they are new. With the new ones I make sure they are the best I can afford, something which doesn't enter much into a decision with vintage. That's based upon interest, availability and brand--and how much effort I want to put into it.

The fundamentalism of extremes or of different philosophies will often cause a stir. Much of the time people ignore it, sometimes not. The main thing is to clearly decide on what we as individuals want to do and set about doing so. Even in disharmony there are often truths to take to heart. Bob S.'s and Harry's clearest messages were made into a million-dollar slogan: Just Do It.

Hate to see that get lost in all the positioning.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    Personally, I think the internet these days is chock full of "tool experts" who couldn't get jobs as basic form carpenters, doing outright harm spreading ignorance and snobbery. While I agree there aren't many bright lines in between, newcomers don't go wrong focusing on completing woodworking projects rather than completing their tool collection.
    Okay, I KNOW I couldn't get a job as a carpenter, but then again neither would I want one: I'm a desk jockey at heart. Okay, well, a computer geek, which usually involves a desk.

I know my tool collection's not complete, but I don't worry about it, I'm worrying about finishing my shaving horse instead. I did buy a couple of specific tools for that, including a big auger bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    published in at least one national magazine
    I congratulate you on managing to preserve your innocence, Jeff. Publication doesn't actually mean much at all except someone got paid for their opinion. Often to see it subsequently edited out of all recognition, but that's another topic... I imagine anyone who's actually "doing" isn't going to have time to fool around writing articles and posting all over the various hand tool fora. What are they? Some kind of keyboard jockey?

That's not how I feel about it, but it's no more than what some folks suggest is the case with reference to others. Funny how it's so often the folks who complain about too much tool talk who pop up for arguments like this that don't have anything to do with woodwork at all.

Tsk, and I was going to let this horse Rest In Peace too. Shall we all go and make like woodworkers now and stop faffing about annoying each other?

Cheers, Alf

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Frampton
    I imagine anyone who's actually "doing" isn't going to have time to fool around writing articles and posting all over the various hand tool fora. What are they? Some kind of keyboard jockey?

That's not how I feel about it, but it's no more than what some folks suggest is the case with reference to others.
    Well, you know, some of us ARE keyboard jockeys, who may be held up on a task (waiting for a long test run, waiting for the latest graphics from marketing), etc., and therefore gabbing with the buddies on SMC (or elsewhere). Sort of like a global virtual water cooler.

Publication doesn't actually mean much at all except someone got paid for their opinion.
    That's my point....you should strive to develop an opinion worth paying for.

And you only get there from here by putting the entire woodworking package together, not just a small piece of it.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 07-25-2006 at 8:34 AM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Bob, my point is that someone paying for something doesn't necessarily mean it's good/right/accurate. In the case of an article it might just happen to fit what the editor wants at that moment. I'm not suggesting this in reference to any particular articles, just a general belief that something being published doesn't make the author the last word on the subject. They might well be of course, but not because they've got an article in a magazine.

Cheers, Alf

I'm personally staying out of this one. My only comment is that occasional well argued differences of opinion are healthy for the community. The only caveat is that folks stay within the terms of service and "play nice".
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

This is the plane in question

I made new curly maple knob and tote. It has it's new a2 blade plus a LN cap iron. all in all a total of $65 invested but definitly my favorite plane!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 07-25-2006 at 10:14 PM.

14. Nice tote 'n' knob, Bob!

So how's it working?

Take care, Mike

Bob, my point is that someone paying for something doesn't necessarily mean it's good/right/accurate. In the case of an article it might just happen to fit what the editor wants at that moment. I'm not suggesting this in reference to any particular articles, just a general belief that something being published doesn't make the author the last word on the subject. They might well be of course, but not because they've got an article in a magazine.

Cheers, Alf
    Welcome to SMC! Your "brothern" Peter lives here in Nashville these days and thrills us all with great music.