Thread: Cutting (Sawing) Acrylic (Slightly OT)

Cutting (Sawing) Acrylic (Slightly OT)

I have a 14" band saw and a 10" table saw and I'll be needing to cut 1/2" acrylic (Plexiglass). I'm reluctant to use my wood cutting blades. What saw and blade do you recommend?
    Thanks,
    Bob Kline

bob, most blade manufacturers offer blades to cut plastics for the tablesaw, check with your local supply house to see what they carry. i`ve never had much luck getting a clean cut in plastics on the bandsaw but any ol` 4 tooth blade will cut it.. be sure to wear safety glasses when cutting, plastic will explode and shoot shrapnel at you if you get in a bind.(first hand experience!) .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

You're just chopping a big sheet up into laser-sized chunks, right?
    For that, I use a jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I use a 7" hollow ground blade in my 10" table saw. I think it's an Irwin from Home Depot. Very inexpensive. It is rated for plastics and ply. Use a wax stick to lube it.
    There are 10" TCG carbide blades with a negative hook for plastic, but they cost at least $100.
    Last edited by Jerry Allen; 07-25-2006 at 11:02 AM.

5. Half inch may be a bit thick for this, but for 1/4" I just tilt my TS blade at 45, and then have the tip of the corner of the blade just proud of the table top, maybe 1/16" of an inch? You then score the plexi and then snap it off.

I was shown this at a plastics place when I asked them how they cut the stuff.

My two cents worth!

Cheers!