Thread: Lumber storage rack

Lumber storage rack

Howdy all!

I'm going to bite the bullet this weekend and move my air dried lumber inside. This will allow the LOML to have her veggie garden back.

My question is regarding properly supporting the 1" rough sawn lumber along its length. Is it recommended to support it every two feet or will three to four feet work just fine? The lumber in question is cherry, red oak, and hickory.

Thanks!!

Matt

Blog Entries
    Instead of using individual brackets for support, I used a slightly different approach. I picked up 8ft sections of the closetmaid wire shelving/brackets etc and used that for my wood racks. 5 shelves and it currently holds about 300bdft and I could probably get another 100 if I stacked it well.

Brent

Brent,
    Do you have a picture of your storage system? If so, could you either post or email me a pic?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Blog Entries
    cheap is not a description of this method but it gives me greater flexiblity for using the shelves as shelves. in the attached picture, the rack in the foreground is used for cutoffs and shorts. it should give you an idea of what I am talking about...

Looks like a good solution Brent. I don't know that it would work for 2500 BF though. I do see that you have it your supports spaced either 16 or 24" apart depending on your stud spacing.

I do have the storage type chosen but I'm more interested in the recommended spacing of the supports along the length of the lumber. I know it's common for pro shops to space the supports 3 or 4 feet but they cycle through their stock much faster than I will. I expect mine to be on the racks for at least 10 years. That being said, probably just best to provide for supports every 2 feet.

Matt

Just note. Whenn we toured Sam Maloof's wood storage barns he stores all of his stock verticaly. He has some wood there thats been stored for a long time.