Thread: Baseboard corner turnings needed; Vancouver Island

Baseboard corner turnings needed; Vancouver Island

Hi Folks,
    I'm making replacement baseboard for my downstairs rooms and I need outside corner pieces to match my (very simple) baseboard profile. The drywall uses 3/4 radius rounded outside corners, which is what made me think of using turned parts. 45 degree chamfering just looks *so* tacky to me.

I have no lathe so I need to ask for assistance from somebody already endowed with the requisite skills & equipment. I live on Vancouver Island so obviously it would be easiest to make a deal with somebody not too far away. The wood choice isn't crucial since it is a paint-grade application; the baseboard itself is decking grade mahogany (oddly, the cheapest option at the time).

The profile is very simple, just a 3/4 bullnose routed at the top of a 6" tall 1" thick plank. From what little turning experience I have I think I'd double-sided-tape four 3" sq bits together, make the cylinder, bore a 1.5" though and add the bullnose. Then again, last time I turned any wood was 22 years ago during an M.Des. course!

Obviously I'd be expecting to pay someone for the work, so it just remains to ask "who wants the job?"

tim
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

Tim,
    I'm having a hard time picturing what you need, got any pictures or drawing you can post? I might be a little thick so maye someone else can help.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-28-2006 at 7:46 PM.

D'oh! I meant to include a sketchup pic and forgot. Here it is -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim,
    How about including the skp file. I think it would be fairly easy to turn but if I were to attempt it I would need the demension between the cove and the rest of the moulding. How about if the piece were made from a solid piece then drilled and quatered on a band saw ? would the curf cut eliminate to much material to make a tight fit?

That's a piece of cake - once you add the missing dimensions.

How many do you need?
    Only the Blue Roads

OK, here's the skippy; I keep forgetting that everybody and their dog has a copy of Sketchup these days.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Does the sketchup file make sense guys?

Oh, and to answer Andy H, I need 5 outside corners altogether. Pity we can't get 5 90degree angles into a single circle. Not in *this* dimension anyway....

Are the corners actually truly 90°?

Or will that be close enough if they aren't?

If you want - I can do it.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 08-17-2006 at 5:50 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Andy, I think that turning the cylinder and quartering with a bandsaw will produce a close-enough to 90 deg result. The walls are pretty straight and square so far as I can measure. Probably the trickiest two parts of this whole exercise are
    a) quartering with decent accuracy and precision
    b) shipping the result without customs and shipper problems...

If you're willing to make them, I'd be very happy. So would my wife; we've been trying to get this 'little' job done for more than a year now. Don't let me get started on the fun of painting about 200ft of baseboard and door casing....

Tim,
    I'm sure Andy can do a credible job.

Get er done Andy..

Umm. Okay.
    Only the Blue Roads

Here ya go.

rowledge 03.jpg
    Only the Blue Roads

Hi

It looks like you guys have this wrapped up but I have turned a bunch of these and the system I ended up with was Drilling out a blank , slipping it over a wood mandrel that was split on the live center end wich produced a wedge.I then turned the corners or rounds if you will, then made a square block with a slip for the corners and used that to cut on a band saw with a fence .

Bob
    I think I got saw dust in my drowers again......

I pretty much did that Robert.

One awkward part of this however, was that the hole on one end was spec'd at 1.75" and the hole on the other end at 1.5".

So, I mounted a square chunk between centers and turned a tenon on one end.

Grabbed that end with a four jaw chuck. Drilled as far as I could with a tailstock mounted 1.75" bit into the other end.

Turned it around, grabbed it internally, and drilled with a 1.5" bit into the other end until the holes met.

Did some further hollowing by hand to place the internal rabbet where mandated by the specs.

Put a tailstock mounted cone into the 1.5" hole for stability and turned the profile.

Dismounted and cut to length with a chop saw.

Rigged a sled on the bandsaw and sliced 'em up.

Worked well, and I learned a few new things.
    Only the Blue Roads

Yep looks like you did a good job of it too , Its always interesting to come up with solutions for new problems.Thats what I love about turning.

Bob
    I think I got saw dust in my drowers again......