Thread: Is this a bug

Is this a bug

I am a fairly new member here, but since the forum had issues, I thought I would ask about this: I noticed, that the times on a post change. If I post at say 12:22 and come back and check it again, my 12:22 post will say something else (say 1:32).

I too Await the Answer

Randall, I've been a member of SMC since the beginning and have seen this question asked and answered several times, but still don't understand. I've pretty much concluded all of us are in a different time zone from the rest of the world. Not to worry.
    18th century nut --- Carl

The time clock on the server (which governs time stamps on posts) is um...variable...as it's not synced to a reference source. This is not something to be concerned with. Also, the server is in the eastern time zone, so folks on the left coast, for example, would see time stamps 3 hours, give or take, later than their local time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The time clock on the server (which governs time stamps on posts) is um...variable...as it's not synced to a reference source. This is not something to be concerned with. Also, the server is in the eastern time zone, so folks on the left coast, for example, would see time stamps 3 hours, give or take, later than their local time.

Ah Jim, ever the diplomat. rofl very good!
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

It's synced, but only about once a month..
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    It's synced, but only about once a month..
    Which should be sufficient, but that particular server's clock drifts fast about a minute per day. That's on the high side, but not that unusual...it always amazes me how the clock in a $2K computer can't match the accuracy of a $3 Walmart wristwatch.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Don't forget you can adjust for your time zone by going to your loged in User CP and select edit options, then in the date and time zone option select your local time zone.

When you have made the selection and save it then everytime you log in all posts will appear as your local time even though all post will retain the systems time (eastern time zone).
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

Ok, on the other forums I am a member of, the posts are all timestamped, and that stay's fixed, unless you edit your post. After having the forum go down do to issues, I wanted to make sure this was brought to attention, in case it was a sign that someone still had a backdoor in. After all Timestamps do help determine some hack attempts.

Thanks

I reset the clock recently back nearly 30 mins, so that may be what you're seeing.
    _Aaron_

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Which should be sufficient, but that particular server's clock drifts fast about a minute per day. That's on the high side, but not that unusual...it always amazes me how the clock in a $2K computer can't match the accuracy of a $3 Walmart wristwatch.
    Astounding, isn't it?

Well, with some of the issues we used to have with syncing clocks gone, I now have it set up to change the clocks once per week. The only issue this creates is people who post within the "drift" window won't be able to post until the clock catches up.. Fortunately the drift window should be small for a period of 7 days.
    _Aaron_

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Astounding, isn't it?

Well, with some of the issues we used to have with syncing clocks gone, I now have it set up to change the clocks once per week. The only issue this creates is people who post within the "drift" window won't be able to post until the clock catches up.. Fortunately the drift window should be small for a period of 7 days.
    What are those synching issues? At my former job, the workstations all had a cron job set up to do that every night at 3AM or so from a central server (NTTP?). Never saw any problems, even if I was working at that time...and the issues of having the machines unsynched were really ugly ('make' behaves very oddly, if nothing else).
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The problems stemmed from some issues when we were running an ISP.
    _Aaron_