Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the Logs for my project - with the best tooling I ever bought.

Making the Logs for my project - with the best tooling I ever bought.

Ok Guys here are the first of the pictures from the project mentioned in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40360 (which turned out to be far more controversial than I expected.

- First a picture of part of the building showing the construction of the corners (its only been up a week and already it is covered in building dust and cob-webs . One of the penalties of living in the English Countryside .)

- Now a picture showing how these are formed.

You will see that there is a need to cut 2 rebates, one in the top and one in the bottom, so they interlock.

- Here is the jig I made up to accommodate the placing of 29 lengths of timber side by side to cut the rebates with the router. (I set it for 29 as that is how many logs are used for a complete side wall of the building.)

For the purpose of taking the pictures I have used 2 short lengths spaced with a length of timber as these are the only 2 I had left after completing the first part of the project. The rest are now up as you see in Picture 1. The original logs were 20 feet long and supported at the other end using trestles.

- Now the setting up of the EZ Router system.
    I am using a Trend 1/2 inch router. I could have used the 1/4 inch, as the system can take any router, but for this part of the job I did not think the 1/4 inch was man enough.

So, with the router mounted on the plate the first thing I did was set the rail on the Jig. You will see that the jig has 2 Plywood placing fillets so that each time I removed and replaced the rail to change the planks I knew it was going back in exactly the same place each time. The clamps being under the rail I was able to clamp the guide easily without interfering with the work space.

- Next I placed the router on the rails and set the limit stops so that the first cut was half the width of the cut required when in the rear position,

and the second stop allowed me to move the router forward to cut the second half of the rebate. (The rebate is 40mm wide and I could only get a 20mm straight cutter that was long enough to reach the required depth.) (mm - sorry I'm in the UK and we no longer use inches).

Having Now set the stops, I position the router slide on the back stop and set the depth and make my first pass along the length of the rail cutting 29 boards at once.
    I reset the depth and took my second pass to the final depth.
    I then moved the router slide forward and took my first then second pass.

The top rebate on the first set of boards was now done .

I removed the guide rail, and turned the logs up side down and repeated the process for the bottom rebate.
    Here's the finished product. (Note the bevel ends were done afterwards with the same jig but using the saw attachment with the saw set at 45 degrees).

I repeated this 3 more times for the other logs to form the other 3 walls.

In all the procedure to do all 29 logs for the first wall - with both rebates - took 15 minutes. It was effortless and easily and all the logs for the four walls was done in just over an hour (including having a cup of tea).

I have not had time to take the pictures of the router being used to cut the T@G shown on the top of the logs in the picture, but this was a similar procedure except this time routing the full length of log laying flat on a long 20 foot makeshift table. I will add those details in the next few days - if I can find the time to set it up for some shots.

Anyway, I hope this has been useful and if there is anything which is not clear - let me know.

Maybe my next project will be - 'A New Garage - The video'.

Interesting and ingenious. A big ole Yankee thumbs up.
    Is that corner system a traditional method or something recently 'thunk up' ?

Thanks Peter!

Very clear and informative.

You mentioned living in the English Countryside. I assume that you mean England and not New England, USA.

Just curious.

Allen

In Europe (mostly the scandinavian countries where there are trees a plenty) there are a large number of building manufacturers using this technique - on anything from a simple 4ftx4ft shed to a full habitable 3000sq ft house.
    They are quick to erect, sturdy and well insulated (if the timber is over 1.5 inches thick).

It's the import cost that makes them expensive that's why I decided to make my own.

So I can't take credit for the design, just finding a way to do it on long planks in a limited space on my own in a small workshop/garden with inexpensive tools .

Yes - its good old Blitey.

I live in that massive island called Great Britain in the deep south west - where the sheep have more brains than the inhabitants . (Just joking - I'll be lynched if anyone in this part of the world reads that )

Wow, 29 all at once that sure makes quick work of it. Very nicely done.

Scott

I don't know if you have them over there or not but this reminded me of the Lincoln Logs I played with as a kid. That looks great Peter. I was wondering if the way you show the two boards connected is the way they are in the wall or are they actually upsidedown? It looks like water would go right into the groove and pool if that were the installation direction. What are the dimensions for those BTW?

Peter, I see that you're using a Trend router. I have been contemplating to buy such one for some time. Are you happy with it? Where in Europe is it cheapest to buy it?
    Thanks
    Tom

Welcome - excellent posting (both of them)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter West

I live in that massive island called Great Britain in the deep south west - where the sheep have more brains than the inhabitants . (Just joking - I'll be lynched if anyone in this part of the world reads that )
    Peter,
    Welcome. Excellent post and photos.

As a fairly new member, it pained me to watch your treatment by some of the "old timers" on your first post. Totally un-called for no matter what the history.

As for SW UK, not sure about the sheep/inhabitants but my wife is from Norfolk where I was twiced stationed. As you probably know, there is an annotation they use there in medical record - NFN (Normal For Norfolk).

Cheers,
    Brad Thompson

Cool idea, Peter, and good job explaining and illustrating the process. Thanks for the pics.

- Vaughn

or are they actually upsidedown?
    Sorry Brett. In my rush to take the pics I put the logs the wrong way up - and didn't notice.

Where in Europe is it cheapest to buy it
    Tom, I bought mine from a local dealer who had them on special offer when they first were released. The only thing I can suggest is do a search for it on Google and shop around. Normally Mail order is the cheapest way to go but I was just lucky to see it at the dealer where they only had 3 on special offer.

I have been very happy with it. My only complaint would be that the depth adjuster is a little clunky when used upside down in the router table. But this will be much less of an issue now that I will use the guide rails for most of the routing I need to do.

Sorry Brett - overlooked your question about size.

Mine were made from 40mm thick timber 125mm wide. Finished at 110mm wide surface area after T&G.
    They can however be made from any size, the thicker the better for insulation and long life.
    Last edited by Peter West; 07-31-2006 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Added answer to overlooked question

Quote Originally Posted by Peter West

Hi Peter
    As one of them from old Blitey,m I might just have to see how many people I can show this too
    Also a happy owner of the EZ system
    Glad to see that sort of thing does not happen on an English forum( your other post in this forum)
    Ps I hope this sort of thing does not happen much

Peter.
    Your 3 dimensional thinking made the job easy.
    The screw clamp , the rail positioning stop, the material support
    and your confidence to try your way free of
    traditional tooling and thinking.

The same procedure (Dead Wood Concept) can be utilized for many applications.
    Cabinets, moldings, flooring and just about anything that you need
    high volume and high production on limited space and without dangerous and expensive machinery.

PS.
    I placed an order today for 200 pieces of 2"x 4" lumber
    for ...something similar.
    Thanks for the idea.

Colin.
    This Forum is one of the main reasons that Peter and you found the tool.
    Collective reason always prevails at SMC and we all win at the end.
    To tell you the truth, I was very skeptical for few moments.

If I start posting at the UK forum

Nice Post Peter

Very interesting setup you have there. Enjoyed your photos too. (Don't pay attention to the grumpy ones). Hadn't had their coffee yet.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

Absolutely brilliant work and making the best out of a great new tool for your needs, Peter. I can certainly understand your excitement in finding the right tool for the job.

Don't mind a few of the sceptical attitudes as I had the same problem about a year ago with my innocent enthusiam as well. If we will just let the "official" moderators do what they do best, SMC works better than any well oiled machine ever made.

Welcome and I personally look forward to the continuation of sharing ideas that benefit all of us no matter what your tool of choice is.