Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Southern delicacy....

A Southern delicacy....

I love this time of year when three of my favorite things are available fresh from the garden...tomatoes, corn and okra. Now, I don't like fresh tomatoes because they disagree with me but I love them cooked. There is nothing better to me than a corn, tomato and okra soup/stew. Corn cut fresh off the cob, thin slices of okra and chopped tomatoes cooked together make a wonderful soup. Combine that with some biscuits, not those things out of a can, but some self-rising flour, Crisco and buttermilk expertly hand mixed and patted into shape by hand; no biscuit cutters allowed. Throw in a strip of fat with a streak of lean, i.e. side meat or fat back and you have a meal fit for a king, a Southern king but a king nonetheless.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Sounds good to me. So when's supper Big Mike????

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

leave my corn on the cob

stew my tomaotoes

fry my okra .......

mike, chuck a few chilis into that pot and i`m in....tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

A Southern delicacy....

That sounds good Mike, and I didn't read it until after lunch because I was expecting something about road kill. You could also put some of that corn in some hush puppies and fry up some catfish to go with the soup. I'm not from the South, but like southern cooking too (as well as most other kinds).

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Sorry to disagree with you like a tomato, Mike.

But sweet corn is best enjoyed still on the cob, still on the stalk, and still hitched to the field.

How else can it be considered fresh?

Mmm mmmm goood.
    Only the Blue Roads

Karl, supper is when you show up. Guarantee you a bowl when you show up.

Skip, fried okra is also a Southern delicacy....Been eating it all my life.

Joe, had hushpuppies made with corn and onions for lunch with my wife. Around here cornbread in one form or another is a staple of home cooking restaurants.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Grandpa Jones alive and well in Rocky Mt....

Michael,
    CMT broadcast a Hee Haw marathon this weekend - DAMHIKT.

Your description reminded me of the Grandpa Jones "Grandpa, what's for supper?" routine.

Man, my age is showing worse than a bad haircut.

It did make my taste buds water thou,
    Brad

Andrew, corn on the cob is a wonderful thing. I eat it nearly every night when I can get it fresh. It all starts with Ambrosia, a wonderfully sweet yellow and white hybrid and progresses through many other varieties. Currently we are feasting on Silver Queen for the next few weeks. But someone of your epicurean tastes, that of a bona fide Moxie drinker brings nothing to the table about Southern gourmet cuisine...

Brad, in my family a lot of the things that Grandpa Jones described were family favorites and certainly were on the menu at one time or another. Hee Haw!!!
    Big Mike

Big Mike......ya always scare me with posts like this.

I opened it up expectin sumthin about Mountain Oysters and find ya done got civil..

WASSUPWITDAT????????????
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

For me....................

Bread and Fry the Okra.

Roast my corn, still in the husk. (HMMMMMMMHMMMMMMMM GOOD!)

Bread and fry my Tomatoes GREEN (Mine NEVER make it to the table!)

and make the biscuits EXACTLY as you stated. (My DAD was a nationally recognized master baker and that sounds like his recipe!)

Now, you have made a meal from HEAVEN!

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 07-31-2006 at 8:16 PM.
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Set another place at the table Mike. I'll be right there!

Just finished some corn on the cob, great stuff. The tomatoes where the little marble size, but they taste good with a little salt. No okra, but it is good stuff either deep fried or in gumbo.

Did I see someone mention Moxie? You mean the EPA or FDA hasn't band that stuff as a dangerous chemical. Last I heard it was made from the sludge leftover from the Love Canal.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    That sounds good Mike, and I didn't read it until after lunch because I was expecting something about road kill. You could also put some of that corn in some hush puppies and fry up some catfish to go with the soup. I'm not from the South, but like southern cooking too (as well as most other kinds).
    You are reading my mind. My favorites from vacations down south are hush puppies and catfish.
    Use the fence Luke

I'm a Yankee living in the south for just a short-time. However, I really, really have enjoyed the esteemed "low-country boil" in my time in Confederate country. I haven't tried your idea, but I like the thoughts of it.........and I'm hungry.