Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Southern delicacy....

Skip, fried okra is also a Southern delicacy....Been eating it all my life.
    one of my favorites , wifey does fried okra and fried catfish that are fantastic ...

I could eat it every night .

no crops down this way untill fall , last tomaotos came in april did get a few strawberrys untill mid may . now evan the herbs are dying off

With all the heat we have been having normally the corn would have burned off and not produced but we have been having a lot of rain, first from Tropical Storm Alberto and then by almost daily widespread thunderstorms that have kept the crops hydrated.

We don't eat so much catfish even though it is farmed all around the area but some of the same side dishes work just fine with fried shrimp, flounder and etc. We had the fried shrimp and flounder for lunch today. Of course you need a bowl of my wife's cole slaw to make that a complete meal....Another Southern delicacy....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Need to toss in a big pot of Pinto Beans, fresh green onions and a hot pawn of cornbread and then we'll REALLY be eatin' in "high cotton".
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

A Southern delicacy....

Quote Originally Posted by skip coyne
    no crops down this way untill fall , last tomaotos came in april did get a few strawberrys untill mid may . now evan the herbs are dying off
    That seems so funny. I'm waiting to pick my first tomatoes, ripe any day, we can't plant them until mid-late May. Lots of strawberries and raspberries, zuccini, and the cucumbers and beans just starting to ripen.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

while where eating southernese dont forget the sweet tea

(sweetned with splenda these days off course )

Quote Originally Posted by skip coyne
    while where eating southernese dont forget the sweet tea

(sweetned with splenda these days off course )

real sugar in the tea i`m drinking now! no fake stuff here....tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Oh yea, don't fergit the fried taters, fried green tomatoes, fresh green beans, and a couple of large porkchops.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    real sugar in the tea i`m drinking now! no fake stuff here....tod

Tod I love sweet tea sweetened with real sugar but since I was a little feller we have always sweetened our tea with saccharin. I know it causes cancer but I like my tea the way it is. I drink it with sugar in the restaurants.

If you want a real treat try boiling yourself a mess of collard greens, potatoes, ham hock and chicken parts all in the same pot. Guaranteed to stink up the house for a week but man, oh, man that is some fine eating. Most Yankees cannot abide the smell of collards cooking. Whenever some move in nearby we cook up a washpot of collards and within a week the "For Sale" sign will go up. Need a big pone of Dennis' cornbread to push that around on your plate and wash it down with a icy glass of tea....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Picked my first HGT of the season yesterday.
    "Only 2 things money can't buy, That's true love and Home Grown Tomatos (HGT)".
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Man...that sounds goooooood.

I've got relatives living all around Gaston Lake. I can round-em all up and be down to Rocky Mount about 8 ish.

Y'all are killin' me. I'm going out to a rubber chicken dinner with a politician tonight. Not looking forward to the dinner, I just happen to like this particular politician. For you Arkansans, it is Asa Hutchinson who is running for Governor. Fine guy, I've known him almost 30 years.

Well Frank, unless my memory is failing me you should be able to get some turkey fries in Arkansas...Seems everywhere I used to eat out there had turkey fries on the menu either as an appetizer or as a main course....Asa eat turkey fries? Rubber chicken, huh, I have had a few of those dinners myself...Expensive, cold and not particularly palatable....
    Big Mike

A Southern delicacy....

All this talk is reminding me of my old favorite TV cooking show,
    Justin Wilson's Louisianna Cooking. Anyone remember him? He passed
    away just a few years ago. He told the greatest stories. I have 2-3
    of his books. I remember one show where he was doing a special on
    BBQ and it was pouring rain. Instead of doing something else he went
    ahead and got wet, sat on a wet picnic table, it was great.

I GARONTEE !!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Joe, I remember Justin Wilson. I faithfully watched his show. He used to crack me up. I learned a lot from him since he was a safety man, i.e. wore a belt and suspenders. Many funny episodes.....I'll never forget the episode when he was cooking spaghetti sauce and was cooking the pasta. He said it needed to be "al dente" (not sure of the spelling). He went on to say that meant the pasta would stick to the wall when you flung it against it. He proceeded to get a strand of spaghetti out of the pot and threw it at the cabinets on the set and missed. He nearly fell down laughing, saying, "I missed the whole damn wall" He had been seasoning the sauce and himself with a little bit too much wine....
    Big Mike

A Southern delicacy....

I remember that epsiode, and it's a constant source of dismay to my wife because I have since always used that method to test my pasta. She makes me wipe off the wall. He did have a habit of drinking more wine than he put into the sauce.

Besides cook books he had books of stories and even humorous albums.
    His writing, even in the cookbooks had to be a nightmare for the editors because they are written the way he talks.

He would say, "People always wanna know, Joos-tain, w'at kinna wine go wit w'at? Well, Ah say, da kinna wine you like!"

http://www.justinwilson.com/audio/cemetery.mp3

Sammamish, WA