Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Southern delicacy....

Okay guys......I have a little "hillbilly" in me...........When's the last time you ate fried squirrel?.....And how long did the argument go as to who got to eat the brains?.........My 2 oldest children still refer to my paternal grandmother as "Grandma who smoked a pipe".... She and all of her sisters smoked pipes. Grandma Fitzgerald liked to make cracklin' bread.....homemade mincemeat.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

2. Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    When's the last time you ate fried squirrel?
    Last fall... deer, duck, turkey and dove, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    "Grandma who smoked a pipe"....
    Grandma didn't smoke, but her and my aunt used snuff. The kind that they'd take a pinch of and sniff. Also kept a pinch in their cheek. Always had a spit can around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Grandma Fitzgerald liked to make cracklin' bread.....
    I haven't had any in a while, but always had it at the grandparents house. My grandpa butchered all his own meat and rendered his own lard. When I was a kid I just thought everybody did this.

I have to admit, after two years in Brownsville that we here in Minn are a bit lacking in "good" mexican food, but I'll pass on the Menudo thank you....

Mark, I haven't sucked the head out of anything...leastwises when I was sober, and I'm pained you haven't had peanut butter with anything other than bread...next time you have a burger, smear a little chunky Skippy over it, maybe a tomatoe, little bacon, lettuce and you'll die a happy man....er..hopefully not from the burger...

Al who after reading all this is going out for pizza....no, I don't put PB on pizza...yet..

Mmmm, ants on a log. (the celerey raisin thing for those that don't know! Like PBJ's with celerey, no bread!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits
    ...Al who after reading all this is going out for pizza....no, I don't put PB on pizza...yet..
    My MIL's "secret" ingredient in spagetti sauce is chunky Skippy peanut butter. Not endorsing the idea...just sayin'.

- Vaughn

A Southern delicacy....

I'm convinced that some people on this forum like to cook up whatever fresh roadkill is available, but I don't know if that's a southern thing or not.

I have eaten chocolate covered ants before, and also some crackers that had ants in them. They're not bad. I have to pass on opposum though.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Well, Joe, the only time I ever ate ants in a cracker was when I reached in an old box without looking first. As for the other, seems like a waste of perfectly good chocolate.

I know you're thinking "But Southerners are a bunch of hicks." That may have been true at one time, but we are much more sophisticated nowadays. For instance, when it come to eating fresh roadkill . . . today's Southerners are fairly picky about that. Polecats, for example, are a non-starter. But squirrel and possum are still possibilities. Anyway, define fresh. If it's been laying there more than two days, we don't touch it.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Sorry Mike, but it would appear I've finally caught in an untruth.

You're correct when you say that the only true purpose for grits to exist is to serve as a delivery vehicle for butter and salt. But the only point on that vehicle's route map is the garbage can. Them things is nasteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Andy is in denial. I was an eyewitness. He was buried up to both elbows in a bowl full of grits and all you could hear was growlin' and slobberin' as he woofed 'em down.

And I'm here to tell you one and all, THAT is a true story. If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'...

Joe, roadkill is not the special of the day around here. If it were possums would be feeding everyone because they are splattered all over the road around here. One truth of life that I can positively attest to is that the more you run over a possum, the flatter he gets! See attached photo for full appreciation of how flat a possum can get and how lazy a road paint crew can be.

Mark, Mark, Mark from Ark, you and I have had this discussion before and you know I am not particularly fond of wild game although I commend those who hunt and eat their kill. I figure that is why some folks use so much hottern hades fiery gut busting paint removing hot sauce on everything they eat. They have had their taste buds neutered by roadkill and things they hunt and eat....

And yes, I too had great aunt who partook of snuff. Thank goodness that sport went by the wayside. Can you imagine Frenching a woman with a pinch of snuff in her cheek? Bleagh-h-h-h-h!!!!

Ken, cracklin corn bread is another Southern delicacy. I helped my Dad and Grandfather render the lard and of course we saved the cracklins for Grandma to include in some corn bread. Good stuff!

And mincemeat pies are something I still have a taste for. My wife and son more or less turn up their nose when I get the urge to bake one. Usually around the winter holidays I will decide it is time for a mincemeat pie. I bake 'em and eat 'em and enjoy 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Man I am disappointed...No mention of black eyes peas with salt pork or mustard greens with salt pork( or in my case tasso-Cajun spicey salt pork).

One year to screw with my inlaws( Maryland-ers)...I Cajunized/Southernized Thanksgiving. Cajun Fried Trukey, Mustard greens with tasso; tomatoes(homegrown canned), corn and okra; and black eye peas, in addition to otehr normal things cranberries. First they looked at me and my wife(Recovering Marylander/Honorary Cajun***) with shock and disdain. They had to be wheeled from the table, then my father inlaw went buy a turkey fryer the next day....however he doesn eat okra. Figures he was from outside of Boston..a true Yankee..doesnt even drink coffee.

*** My wifes honorary Cajun status is due to the fact that she can out eat most people with boiled crawfish.
    Also the fact that she cooks better Crawfish ettouffe than my dad or myself. Now any one that can out cook 2 Cajuns who know their ancestry back to the orginal Acadians has to be a Honorary Cajun. IF you were to add an x on the end of her last name..it would be Cajun. So who knows.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    The food from Mexico (and Arizona, sorry Don ) is nowhere near as good IMHO as the food by the same name, but with more Spanish roots, that's from New Mexico, particularly the northern Rio Grande valley. (Sorry, no canned hominy in my posole. ) New Mexican "Mexican" food is different from all the rest. I'll bet a few NM Creekers would back me up on that.

And fresh home grown tomatos are indeed manna from Heaven.

- Vaughn
    Vaughn,
    I do enjoy New Mexico style food also. Nothing better then Hatch Chili's I got a ristra of em hanging in the kitchen now. My Posole recipe came from a meixcan women at church who was from Guadlahara Mexico, don't knock it if you haven't tried it..

I do not like them,
    Hoyt-I-am.
    I do not like
    them grits with ham.

Would you like them
    Here or there?

I would not like them
    here or there.
    I would not like them
    anywhere.
    I do not like
    them grits with ham.
    I do not like them,
    Hoyt-I-am
    Only the Blue Roads

Horton hears a Hoyt!!!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

A Southern delicacy....

Michael, that's a great picture. I see the same thing every morning but they are on top of the yellow stripes. If you want fresh squirrels I can let you pop off a few in my yard, they steal birdseed and recently ate my entire crop of bok choy.

Rob,

Every year we have a "theme" for Christmas dinner. The extended family all come over to our house and each is assigned on dish, we make the rest. Two years ago it was southern. We made catfish, hushpuppies,
    mustard greens, black eye peas, grits, and for desert I made a sweet potato pie, my daughter made a pecan pie...we couldn't get a volunteer to make the okra.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Fried squirrel, squirrel stew, rabbit stew, baked dove, quail, turkey, goat, and the list continues on. Still like it all from time to time, but the LOML won't fix it for me no-mo.

All my grandparents, great grandparents all dipped Red Top Snuff and they brushed their teeth with a twig from a sweet gum tree and I often times got my behind whooped with a switch off the local peach tree.

Turnip greens with ham-hock, black-eyed peas, fried ham and great big ol' "Cathead biscuits" smothered in sawmill gravey!!!! Yum-YUM!!!!!!!

I gotta break for sumpin to eat now.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.