Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Apprentice Journal Comments page

Micheal, the part about doing the kindling was related to me by a 90 some year old man at a steam show demo a few years back. When we got to talking, he related some of the experiences of his grandfather, who had done his apprenticing as a WW in the early 1800's.

When I am out demonstrating sometimes a family will show up and watch for awhile and as they move on sometimes the grandfather will tell the family to come get him when they leave as he will be waiting for them at my demo area. I usually give them a chair or a stool to set on and after they watch me work awhile and listen to what I tell people who come up to watch and ask questions and he determines that I half way know what I am doing and talking about they will usually make comments about something and then when I listen or ask their advice they will open up and I set and listen and ask questions and I usually end up learning something, and I am a good listener. Showing the respect due them and asking their advice I earn their respect and the information flows and I absord all I can. I have even had a couple of old WWer's ask where my next demo is going to be and show up for a whole weekend and sometimes actually show me how to do things.

I love history and absorb all I can. I think a lot of it is they would like to pass on some of their experiences and knowledge to someone who is interested and will actually use it.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thanks to Marty for bringing to my attention the problem when I posted the last segments. it has been corrected.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Uh Junior, About this kid at heart and growing up thing.... The way I heard tell, growing older is mandatory if you like living, up growing up is optional. I think I'd ask someone to shoot me if it ever looked like I was growing up. We all need the enthusiastic kid part of us.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

4. Dang it, Jr., I was sitting here snuffling over old Noah Yoder when some people showed up in my office. They probably guessed I had just lost a friend.

You probably snuffled about old yeller too.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-08-2006 at 6:04 PM.
    Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil
    You probably snuffed about old yeller too.
    i did........
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Part 9 completed and posted in post #5.

I am trying to get the Admin or a Moderator to move my little posts up to the top so I can post journal parts so they are all at the top instead of having to hunt thru the long thread.
    Jr.

Journal part 10 added today 8/16/06 in post #5.

The administrators have not seen fit to make the small changes I requested, so I am thinking of moving the journal over to the Traditional Tools site so that it can be enjoyed with out hunting for the posts.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-17-2006 at 12:09 AM.
    Jr.

9. Harry, Henry is a kid I have met all too often. Shiftless is a good term for him.

And though I haven't told anyone...yep, a sniffle or three for ol' Noah and his wife.

Keep it going, Harry!

Take care, Mike

I moved the story to another thread of its own and this will stay as the comments thread, thank you.

I think it will be easier to read and find the new parts that way. I hope this meets with everyones approval?

Jr.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-17-2006 at 2:38 AM.
    Jr.

Welcome Back!

Jr., I hope you are feeling better! I have been anxiously awaiting the next chapter to the story and was glad to find it this morning. Thank you for sharing the story with us! I will wait for the next chapter of the saga. Sounds like young Henry is going to be a real piece of work!

Thanks...

Harry, thanks so much for the most recent installment ! This is a wonderful story and I can't wait for each new part. I can feel the pride in you through this young apprentice working his way forward. It must have been a hard life back then for a youngster to be taken from his home and family and thrust into a strange world of hard work and toil. He is lucky to have a decent Master as I'm sure not all were so nice.

Glad to see you are feeling better and able to get to your computer and work on this incredible story. Take care of yourself and keep up the great work!

P.S.-I also got choked up when Noah died and left his tools to the young lad.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Welcome back Harry. Thanks for the latest installment of the story and I hope you are feeling better.

where can i find the threads

Was the Apprentice Journal moved to a different site? Where can I find it?

thanks!
    Dave

Dave, Yes it was moved to http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41381
    I was unsuccessful in getting a moderator or Admin to make a couple of minor changes in this thread, so I moved the story to its own thread so it would be easier to find the new parts.
    Jr.