Thread: I wonder why retailers want to substitute...

I wonder why retailers want to substitute...

other manufacturers bits for Leigh bits.

The Leigh catalog and website pointed me towards some retailers selling their stuff. I chose Woodcraft since I could go there and get a bit right away. I checked WCs online catalog that said they had the Leigh bits and other accessories I wanted. Great.

So I went to WC on other business, and while there thought I'd pick up an 11/16 dovetail cutter and a 5/8 guide bush for my Bosch router.

No Leigh brand bits, but they were happy to substitute a CMT bit. At $30.

I looked at other websites when I got home and note that subbing other manufacturers bits for Leigh is common.

Why? Are Leigh bits inferior to everyone else's? I also noted that the CMT bit I got seems a bit higher priced. I've not a problem with price if it really is superior in every way.

Are CMT bits any good? I've no experience with them.

Many of the retailers probably don't stock them on the shelf, even if they are available, as they undoubtedly get better margins on their "normal" brands. Woodcraft stores only stock a portion of what's in the catalog, too, as almost all are franchises and the carrying costs for slow moving items is not something they want to pay. They usually can get the items pretty quick, however, at least in my experience with things not stocked locally. (They didn't charge me for shipping, either, if it was picked up at the store)

At the time I bought my D4, Lee Valley carried the Leigh bits, but I just checked their site and they now seem to be supplying their own house brand bits. (Which are quite good) I bought the Jesada set when I got the jig, but in retrospect, I should have bought the Leigh 8mm set for the stronger shanks. (The Jesadas are wonderful, however, even though they are 1/4" shanks)

You can order the Leigh bits direct, but frankly it may be simpler to buy another brand!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron
    other manufacturers bits for Leigh bits.
    Why? Are Leigh bits inferior to everyone else's? I also noted that the CMT bit I got seems a bit higher priced. I've not a problem with price if it really is superior in every way.

Are CMT bits any good? I've no experience with them.
    IMHO CMT bits are the best on the market. Pricey but worth it. You can get them on sale via the internet sometimes. Amana, and Whiteside are also very very nice bits.

The bits included with my Leigh jig were not carbide tipped. Therefore, they dulled up quickly. And I was getting too much tear out. Even though I was scoring before I cut. So I went to Woodcraft and purchased a set of Whiteside bits for the Leigh jig and have been using them ever since. The difference between them and the Leigh bits is like night and day.
    Dominic Greco

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Greco
    The bits included with my Leigh jig were not carbide tipped. Therefore, they dulled up quickly
    How old is your Leigh jig? I've had mine for maybe ten years, and it came with two bits - a 7° dovetail and a 5/15" straight - both ¼" shank, but BOTH CARBIDE. Are you sure yours came with steel bits?

BTW, I bought the (pre-Jesada) CMT bit set, and have found them to be much better than the Leigh OEM bits.

Cool

John, I don't have the Leigh, nor the particular bits associated with it. BUT, I do have a number of CMT bits and I have found them to be very nice, indeed. Clean cuts and keep a real good edge.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!