Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Gloat!!

Talking Wood Gloat!!

Got this wood from my vet there was a large blowdown on her property, and well its mine now. Didnt even make a dent in how much they have. The fat logs are blackwalnut and then I think theres a piece of hickory mixed in and then i'm not sure what those yellowy logs are... any idea???
    I'll be getting about 15 ft of maple later and then some cherry and other stuff.
    heres my question: which of the following woods are good to turn??
    black locust
    red oak
    shagbark hickory
    Kentucky Yellow-wood (I think thats what the yellow wood is)

BTW that trailer is 4*8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

Wood

Nice score. Black Locust is hard, but the color is nice, and it shines nicely when done. It is also supposed to glow under uv lights. Some people are allergic to it. I have one friend who reacts to it when it is green but not when it is dry. Red Oak has nice color, but I have trouble selling any oak. The red Oak is porous, and can leak with liquids. I don't know about the Kentucky yellow wood. Does it have any smell? I can't tell anything from the bark. Some yellow woods will darken considerably with age. I would love to get my hands on some hickory, but there is very little of it out here in Oregon.
    robo hippy

The yellow wood looks an awful lot like mulberry.

4. The mulberry I have is a dark heartwood. I got a piece of it from Joe Meazle.

I haven't seen any Mimosa cut - I guess that's not what it is??? The ones I remember seeing are kinda smooth-barked like that log.

Looks like holly to me! Holly has no odor also! The smooth bark has me leaning that way. Never heard of Kentucky yellow wood.
    Last edited by Kurt Rosenzweig; 08-02-2006 at 5:29 PM.

It is a bit yellow but could be Norway maple. Nice haul whatever it is.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Looks a lot like Poplar to me.
    Nice Haul Ben!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Nice haul Ben. You should have enough wood to keep you busy for some time to come.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice score Ben..
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

The bark reminds me a little of english walnut.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

well the yellow wood is very fragrent, so it cant be those trees you said which had no odor, though I guess it could loose its fragrence once it dries. Hows poplar turn?? the one time I tried it was all stringy and horrible.
    Well I've been workin on a walnut bowl should be done today or tommorow, I'll post pics of it once its done. the owner said it was kentucky yellow wood.... so thats I guess what it is.

Thanks reed on the info bout the wood. any one else know anything bout these woods for turning??
    black locust
    red oak
    shagbark hickory
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

Wood ID

Well, the smooth bark is similar to holly, but the wood doesn't look like holly to me, as holly is usually white, or grey, and sometimes some green in it. I did get some scented yellow wood once that smelled very sweet, and someone told me it was china berry. I have seen mulberry that was yellowish, but the bark was rougher.
    robo hippy

Black Locust is a very hard wood when dry! It can have some nice grain try it and see what you think of it.

Red Oak will move a lot when drying, also if you turn it green clean your tools/lathe imediatly after turning if left for very long it will rust your tools over nite with some aweful black rust that will eat pits in the metal really fast. Personaly I dont like it for turning and probably wont turn any more of it for that reason unless its almost dry!

Shagbark Hickory, I have not turned any of it yet but it should make some nice looking stuff.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

I totally suck at Wood IDing.; but I'll take a stab for fun.

Beech?
    Only the Blue Roads

If it has very little weight to it I could call it sumac. Not the poison variety so don't worry. Sumac is fragrant (if you want to call it that).
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.