Thread: Planer dust-hood retrofit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Planer dust-hood retrofit

I received a hand-me-down Ryobi 13" planer from my father and am wondering how to mount a dust collector hood to it and, are any recommended hoods that people have used.
    Thanks,
    jeff

Dust Hood Retrofit

Any one have any good ideas or pics of their planer dust hood retrofit? I am trying to retrofit an older 13"delta machine?

thanks,

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roland View Post
    Any one have any good ideas or pics of their planer dust hood retrofit? I am trying to retrofit an older 13"delta machine?

thanks,

tom
    I have an older (5 years?) 12.5 in Delta and with a little grinding work I'm going to be able to get a dust collection attachment from a Grizzly planer to work. I'd show you photos, but I don't have it done yet. To be honest, I don't even have it started yet. This is the part:

http://grizzly.com/products/Dust-Hoo...5-Planer/H7516

Here's what I did for my 13" ridgid.
    7-11-09 008.jpg7-11-09 006.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cord View Post
    I received a hand-me-down Ryobi 13" planer from my father and am wondering how to mount a dust collector hood to it and, are any recommended hoods that people have used.
    Thanks,
    jeff
    I rigged a Rockler dust hood to my Powermatic 12 inch planer. This involved drilling/tapping the cast iron so I could mount aluminum tracks for the hood to slide in. Click here for a previous post describing this arrangement.
    Last edited by David Winer; 01-12-2010 at 3:34 PM. Reason: Correction

Post a picture of the machine, or give me the model number. I have an idea that may work, but need to see if your machine is similar to mine.

Some of the Ryobi stuff is similar to the Ridgid. Search ebay for item # 300129726851. It is the dust collection for the TP1300, and is $8. It could work...

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Gadget; 01-12-2010 at 8:03 PM.

Delta lunchbox dust hood retrofit

I've got a TP305 lunchbox planer, and was considering ways to build a dust hood for it when I came across Delta part number 50-359. It is advertised for older 22-540 planers, but it will also fit the TP300 and TP305 (this is the one Lowe's recently cleared out) as a direct bolt on. I'm not familiar with the Ryobi the OP is asking about, so I don't know if this could be modified for it, but, for you delta owners, this is definitely easier than making one.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee Bidwell; 01-12-2010 at 6:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bidwell View Post
    I've got a TP305 lunchbox planer, and was considering ways to build a dust hood for it when I came across Delta part number 50-359. It is advertised for older 22-540 planers, but it will also fit the TP300 and TP305 (this is the one Lowe's recently cleared out) as a direct bolt on. I'm not familiar with the Ryobi the OP is asking about, so I don't know if this could be modified for it, but, for you delta owners, this is definitely easier than making one.

Lee
    Be careful about this with delta planers. Some places can give you incorrect info. For example, the 50-539 will NOT fit my 22-560 planer. Some of the older design planers need the 50-445 hood which is getting a lot harder to find. I'm fairly sure that the 50-539 will work with the TP305. But I would double check on the TP300 before I ordered one.