Thread: Kudos to the membership

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Kudos to the membership

This morning while I was doing my routine daily moderating chores I started to reflect on how this place has evolved over the years and how the moderating chores have changed.

I have been a moderator of Sawmill Creek since its inception more than 3 years ago. We battled (if that’s the right word) over the Terms and Policies under which we would operate. Things like the use of real first and last names, commercial content, personal bashing, profanity, religion, political content, links in signature lines, links to other public forums and on and on. The decisions of what to allow and what not to allow was discussed in length, with the few 100 members at the time. The Terms and Policies adopted have served us well over the years and still do to this day.

In the beginning the job of moderating was a real chore. There was much discord in why we had such stringent policies. Since those early times we have basically become a self moderated forum. Members report posts using the “Report Bad Post” feature (red triangle icon top right of every post) which results in an e-mail to the moderator/s. That really helps in alerting me and the other moderators to obvious violations.

I use to have to read every post, which has become virtually impossible unless I wanted this to be a full time 24/7 job. I have come to learn which members strictly adhere to the rules and which ones tend to backslide every now and then . Now I only have to concentrate on posts by new members, some of which haven’t read the Terms and are not aware of our general policies, which makes the job much easier. We have also increased our number of moderators as our membership has grown and the number of daily posts has risen astronomically.

There were times when I though “Is this really worth it”. I came to the conclusion that "yes, it was" and is even though I have had to endure vicious e-mails, phone calls and PM’s, public bashing, and yes, even physical threats. But, I am a big boy, it's a tough job but someone has to do it .

Keith had a vision 3½ years ago to make this the premier woodworking forum on the internet and with the help of the membership, the administration and the other moderators that has happened.

So - - - Kudos especially to the members.

Click to enlarge
    testtoon.jpg
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 08-04-2006 at 9:22 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken
    Many thanks to you and the other moderators for keeping the Creek a friendly and usefull sight.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Ken.........It's the members but it's the moderators and the support people....Aaron, Keith, Jackie and all that make this place what it is! Thanks for keeping us in line!

BTW....You left out the BL in that cartoon and weren't you supposed to be blowing raspberries at the thing across from your desk?

Thanks again for all that you and the other moderators do!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, I can't imagine how hard it must be to keep any kind of order among such a diverse group as we have here at SMC. All I can say is that you and the other mods. have done a difficult job well, while maintaining a sense of humor and balance. That contribution has made this a great forum where even the "rowdys" act like gentlemen. Thanks to all the SMC family for a job well done.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

5. Thanks for the hard work Ken, now get out there and enjoy that new boat!!

Thanks to all involved, from the inception of SMC, to the Moderators and participants of the forum as we know it today. It's grown into what I think is one of the premeire fun, helpful forums on the net today.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Ken, that was the reason when I joined on that first day, and why I keep coming back!

You guys and gals do a great job!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hmmm, if only to get a peek at Ken's "bad boy" list....

haha Mods do endure a lot (I'm one at a BMW forum) and I don't think they get enough appreciation so "this Buds for you, Ken"!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks to all the moderators. This is not just the premier woodworking forum, it is the best forum anywhere. You folks do a great job and you have our support.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

You're all over paid!

Except Aaron

now get back to work!

Seriously, thank you all

Joe

Ken, I know you didn't post this to get ATTA BOYS. What you speak is the truth. I have basically stopped going anywhere else for information or to get help with improving my work.

Even in person, I have not met a better bunch of folks. Included are you and the rest of the "LAZY!???" people who keep the Creek Flowing. Kudoes to you all.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

it all boils down to leadership! you know what they say.... good leaders are followed, not pushing from behind.
    thanx for all your hard work....... has it really been 3 yrs????
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

I'm new to SMC, but I think by far it's the best forum there is out there. I signed up on one other forum but never posted, beacuse I feel that there's so many friendly people here and I can get pretty much all the info. I need here. Why go anywhere else?

Liem