Thread: latex paint sticking

Question latex paint sticking

Here's the problem I built and installed a cupboard/bookcase for the LOML to put nick-naks on, and the paint still feels tacky. I know it is dry, it was painted over 2 weeks ago. Yet thing like her baskets are feeling like they are sticking to the paint. I could just see trying to move these baskets after a month, and up comes some paint.

I used Latex Semi-Gloss Enamel, and was wondering if I should (could) put some clear paste wax on top of the paint? Did I use the wrong paint (some guys at home depot know less about paint than I do)? Or is there something better than Clear Paste Wax for the top.

Someone help the "NEWBIE"

According to a finishing expert at another forum I frequent, latex paint will tend to stick to stuff like this "forever"...nature of the beast. I'm not sure if a seal coat of anthing will help, but you can try. The downside to that is that it will probable affect the color. You can try wax, but if that doesn't work you'll need to insure you really remove it well before trying another coating. You may be able to top coat it with oil based of the same color with some preparation, but check with a "real" paint store about compatibilty...the big box isn't the best place to ask questions like this, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry about your problem, Mark.....

I wish you had asked before painting. Your results is why I never paint interior wood trim with latex enamel. Go to the paint store and check with them about a sealer so you can recoat with an alkyd enamel. You may want to experiment by using a clear oil base poly over the semi-gloss.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

At this point, the best thing to do is to wait 2 more weeks. Latex paints are quick-drying, but slow-curing, and can take up to a month to cure. Take everything off the shelf and give it some more time. Another option if it is still a problem would be to put a coat or two of waterborne poly on it then, which will dry clear and not yellow at all.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I wish I had found this fourm a month ago.

thanks for the good advice

I think I will try to let it cure longer. This sounds the laziest way, because I HATE FINISHING (painting, staining...) I don't know of a better way to ruin a good project.

Mark

Blog Entries

Talcum!

Wipe a little talcum on the surface and it gets much less sticky. Used to use baby powder, but I don't think that is available anymore.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute