Thread: What's the deal with the soft-sided case craze?---Bosch PS10 cordless driver

What's the deal with the soft-sided case craze?---Bosch PS10 cordless driver

I just received my Bosch PS10 cordless driver from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013, and when I opened the box I find that it comes packed (very neatly and well positioned) in a soft-sided case. Also, in the last couple of years, there have been bonuses that come with tools that have included a soft case or some sort of heavy canvas bag.

Is this a trend that is going to continue? Personally, I like a hard case. It stacks well on other cases for my drills, nail guns, jig saw, etc. and a hard case won't crush.

That being said, this soft case for the little driver is a rectangular shape with a flat top and bottom so it will go neatly on a shelf or on top of other cases. As far as soft cases go, even though it doesn't provide much (any) protection from crushing or from a fall, it is the best soft case that I've seen.

Anyone else prefer the soft case over a hard case or vice versa?

The driver is great. VERY handy for all the small driving jobs that I do. I also expect it to be perfect for hardware installation (or removal too I guess) both outside and inside of cabinets.

Right out of the (soft ) case it was ready to go. While the second (included) battery was being topped off in the charger, I have already used this little driver while preparing a newly vacated rental for the new tenants. Seven position clutch (plus drill setting) and a five position, articulating head make it VERY, VERY handy and cool.

Even though it has a clutch lockout/drill setting, at only 600 rpm I don't really plan on using it for drilling. But then again, I didn't buy it for that and I've got a few other drills to do that for me. It has a bit holder as opposed to a chuck so if someone did want to use it for drilling you would have to have the drill bits with the notched shank (like a screwedriver bit).

It has the same type of neo-high tech styling that seems to be popular right now in the hand power tool world, somewhat similar to the Hitachi drills and routers, the new Makita drills and the like, however not quite so bold (wild )
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Different people have different needs. I personally find ALL cases a pain. Most of them are configured (often very poorly, I might add) for only the tool that came with them and cannot be adapted to any other good use. Storing tools in them in my shop seems like a lot of wasted motion. Perhaps if I were a contractor hauling them around in my truck, I would feel differently. I have a whole stack of empty tool cases stored in the attic. Someday, I will set them out for the trash collection (probably long after the tools themselves have died.

Be happy the tools aren't coming "soft-sided" as well!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think it's easier to carry 3-5 tools in soft sided cases then the hard plastic cases and they take up less room. They're also a bit more adaptable.

I just wish the cases were an option where i could save $5-$10 per tool without a case because i never use them in mu shop.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I prefer a hard case for carrying job site tools around, which is around 12-15 different cases.

I don't know how many cases I've thrown in the dump over the years.

I throw the cases away. But then I don't throw tools in a crowded camper back pickup truck and haul them from job site to job site.

I personally like the soft cases or bags, it lets you put other stuff in there than just the tool.
    The moulded hard cases are nice till you want to take along a drill bit set for the drill, some screws and anchors, a set of screwdriver bits, maybe a hole saw or two...

Just my opinion...it's worth what you paid for it

Last year, I helped a family friend liquidate his family's estate. Part of the estate that I helped on was the remanets of a lumber yard and the carpentry/construction business.

Every single Black and Decker power tool, the silver metal ones, Al(?) housings, had their own hand built wooden case.

If ya don't like it soft, go and make it hard... out of wood!

For better or worse, tool companies seem to be paying more attention to style and fashion, and I suppose the marketing folks decided that a nylon bag conveys a "rugged, athletic" image.

From the user perspective, I think the world's population is equally divided among those those like hard cases, those who prefer soft, and those who never use the cases.

And of course everyone knows that a true tradesman carries all his tools in a stack of milk crates bungeeed on top of an old skateboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fitzgerald
    For better or worse, tool companies seem to be paying more attention to style and fashion, and I suppose the marketing folks decided that a nylon bag conveys a "rugged, athletic" image.

From the user perspective, I think the world's population is equally divided among those those like hard cases, those who prefer soft, and those who never use the cases.

And of course everyone knows that a true tradesman carries all his tools in a stack of milk crates bungeeed on top of an old skateboard.

I'll have to try that one Ken.

Now where's those milk crates I used to have

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fitzgerald
    And don't forget the indispencable drywall mud buckets. You just can't do business without a few of those.

Every case has its place. I stash the hard cases away because my tools generally stay at home. But for protection when transporting them from jobsite to jobsite you can't beat a hard case. But on the other hand, being able to throw a few things in a soft case and go is also handy.

For what little traveling my tools do I have a couple of the soft sided tool bags/cases to put stuff in, along with a plastic tool tote. It's great for the do-it-yourselfer but I can't picture it working as well if I was tossing them in and out of a vehicle everyday.
    Don

In real life, as a Communications Technician, all my tools are in hardshell cases. All my test equipment is in soft-sided padded cases. If a piece of equipment didn't come with a case, I can usually find a camera/camcorder bag that'll fit it. Replacement circuit boards/modules/parts are kept in either the original boxes they were shipped in, or in those really neat Stanley storage organizers. They stack really well in the service vehicle, accessories are all in the correct bag(s), and it makes them easy to carry in and out of the jobsite.

After 20+ years of that, it's carried over into my ww'ing hobby; everything has its case and place. Of course, everybody knows that techies are a bit demented anyway...

I just noticed that I've got 3 hard cases that I stored when I bought tools years ago. I don't have the tools anymore, just the cases. That tells you more about me than the cases, eh!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hundreds of dollars in tool chests/roller cabinets and I carry my stuff in a bucket
    I like the soft sides. Stack better in the truck and don't clunk around.

Real happy with Festool Sustainers. I love the locking/stacking feature.
    I find most of the hard ones don't hold the tool well (after your first use) or have room for accessories.
    I toss out a lot of the molded plastic.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/