Thread: Through Mortises

Through Mortises

I'm currently working on a craftsman style table. Calls for through mortise and tenons. Care to share your method of cutting through mortises? So they come out clean and sharp. Thinking on using a router then squaring the corners with a chisel. Thanks, Russ

russ, i use a hollow chisel mortiser entering from the show side and cut smaller than the finished mortise then pare to fit..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Tod has right. You can also leave the stock a bit oversize and rip off the excess after the mortises are done.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Russ...I just created a new thread today

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ighlight=tenon
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

This one done with a templet & trimmer, no collars. Waste the field with drill or jigsaw, locate templet and trim to templet.
    Sample was done to show that any stick can be tenoned to another even if neither was milled. Moreover, the templet (mortice) can be located anywhere.

Routers

Lay them out. Drill out most with a forstner bit. Square them up with a chisel.

Russ, I always use a backer board of scrap MDF to prevent any chance of blowout.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have to go with Jeff Horton on this one. I would use a Forstner Bit and a drill press as well, and then chean up the edges with a chisels. Its simple and easy. If your outside walls are a bit thin, or you are worried about a blow out, try using a wooden parrellel jawed hand clamp to keep the wood in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Tod has right. You can also leave the stock a bit oversize and rip off the excess after the mortises are done.

Brian
    Might wanna be careful doing this if you use a mortiser, because the inside of the mortise will almost certainly be 'ragged' to some extent, and any ripping will expose this on the 'show' surface. As someone else suggested, I cut from the 'show' side, with a backer underneath the exit cut.

KC