Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Buy a Router... Please!!

Help Me Buy a Router... Please!!

I've currently got two routers that just aren't getting the job done for me and I'm in the market for new one. I'm looking to the astute folks here for some guidance.

My current routers are:

Ryobi RE180PL - not a bad router, but it's a pain finding accessories for it, like a subbase that will hold PC guide bushings so I can finally use my PC 4212 dovetail jig.

A Craftsman plunge router that I have no idea why I bought. It only has a 1/4" collet, no soft start and it's screamingly loud.

I'm looking to find a router that will serve me well in several aspects. I'm thinking I want one with more than one base so I can keep one base in the router table and use the other for handheld jobs. It therefore, needs to be powerful enough to run larger bits in the router table. Speaking of the router table, I'd really like a router that has above table height adjustment.

I'd also like it to be PC guide bushing ready so I can get to making some dovetails. If it includes accessories like an edge guide and has good dust collection, all the better.

Is there a good router out there that will fit all my needs, available for $300 or less, and that gets your personal stamp of approval? Or am I going to be forced to get two separate routers - one for table use and one for hand-held use?

Some of the routers I've been considering are:

Bosch 1617EVSPKE (looks like a complete package?)
    Porter-Cable 895PK (doesn't include an edge guide = more $)
    Milwaukee 5625-20 (3 1/2 hp, but only 1 base and no edge guide)Ridgid R2900 (no edge guide - is one even available?)

Have I overlooked any?

It's gotten to the point where I'm analyzing and comparing and contrasting them to death and at this rate, I'll never be able to make a decision. Please help!

Keith

There are losts of good routers out there today. I would also consider the DW 618 PK. Check out Pat Warners the router guys site ( http://www.patwarner.com )for some info and if you email him he will be glad to help you out. He has lots of info. I narrowed it down to the Bosch 1617 and the DW 618 PK's and chose the DW 618 because I like the feel. I would try to test or feel the routers you are considering. There are so many good routers out there that in my opinion you should try them out and get the one you like best.

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 08-06-2006 at 8:12 PM.

Check out the Hitachi

Rockler has the single speed Hitachi KM12SC, with fixed and plunge bases...a set of guides...and a case for $109.99! Should work well with your 4212. This is a sale price, so if you're interested, you might want to give them a call.

I'm looking at it, and I'm not sure the variable speed, at $179 for the same kit, is worth $70...

Then you could get the Bosch for your table and other needs and still be not that much over $300.
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 08-06-2006 at 8:08 PM.

I prefer the 690 and 7500 series porter cable routers.

Hi Keith - If you think you'd like above table height adjustment, I think you'd love above table bit changes...I know I do. The most table friendly router I've used does not come in kit form. The new Freud FT-1700 is loaded with above table features. It has one handed above table bit changes, an auto collet lock/release, above table height adjustment and lock, and more common features of variable speed, soft start and electronic speed control. At 13 amps, 2-1/4hp it's strong enough to do the occasional panel raising, and will do all other tasks easily, but for lots of raised panels with a 3-1/2" bit, I'd suggest going with a 3hp 15 amp router like the 5625. You can do above table bit changes with the 5625 if the throat opening of your router plate is large enough, but it's definitely easier with the FT-1700. If 2-1/4 hp will suffice, I'd be apt to get the FT-1700 and use it in the table and get an additional small router for hand use, like the PC690 or Hitachi fixed base single speed at ~$85-$120 on sale. I've seen the Hitachi VS kit go near $120 on sale.

http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116

http://www.epinions.com/content_245903494788
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-06-2006 at 8:44 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

IMHO the edge guides made by the router manufacturers aren't worth much. I don't know that I'd let the inclusion of an edge guide sway your decision. You can probably do a lot better with an after-market edge guide. Maybe they've gotten better (I haven't paid attention lately) but the ones I've seen from the router makers didn't impress me. Just my $0.02.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Beck
    Ridgid R2900 (no edge guide - is one even available?)
    Keith
    Keith,

I was looking into that router and it is reported that the PC edge guide fits it and also the PC bushings fit it as well.

I have a Milwaukee 5625 in my table and really like it. I also have the Hitachi M 12VC. I bought it just to use with my dovetail jig. It seems like a pretty good little router. Does not appear to be the quality of the Milwaukees but is doing just fine so far. If you got really good sale prices they would not cost you a whole lot over $300 for the pair. On July 7th heavydutytools had the 5625 for $198 delivered and Amazon had the Hitachi for about $100 for a total of right at $300. PC guide bushings fit the Hitachi out of the box.

But wait----you do not have a plunge router if you need one. Another option. You could get the Milwaukee 5625 and the Ridgid with the addition of another hundred bucks and that would give you the plunger also ($400 total plus tax for the Ridgid). If you did not like the idea of the Ridgid you could add the Dewalt 618 kit for even more bucks. On and on it goes. We have all been there haven't we.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 08-06-2006 at 11:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    More info than you wanted probably but the Mil 5625 is great in the table and the 5615 with the palm-grip body works great for the dove tail jig, lotsa control, great balance. This will leave you without a plunge though as neither is offered with one.

My 2HP Ryobi fits in the Turnlock base that has twist in guides. Once aligned, you just swap the guide for the size you need and it stays centered. I agree that finding parts and accessories is a pain with Ryobi but try Dixie Sales. They've got about everything (except the d**m plunge body).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    the 5615 with the palm-grip body works great for the dove tail jig, lotsa control, great balance.
    I have the 5615 also and totaly agree.

I bought a reconditioned DeWalt 621 router and a reconditioned DeWalt 735 planer from ToolKing and they were like new. Sometimes you can save some money and end up with more for less by going that route.

I have a Makita RF1101. Paid $100 for it refurbished. It's very quiet and so far I've been very happy with it.

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=RF1101

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their input. It appears that in order to get everything I want/need, I'm going to have to buy two separate routers. Now I just need to convince the missus that I need two more routers.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    I prefer the 690 and 7500 series porter cable routers.

dito! ......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I use a 690 for handheld work. I let ended up with a Triton for the table and have never looked back.

Hartville hardware has them so you should be able to get them through Hartville tool. I got mine a year ago and if memeory serves me right it was about $50 to $60 dollars cheaper than anything else in its class. It tends to get overlooked or some reason. At some point in the future I'm going to buy another one so I can set for rails and stiles at the same time.

The few things some reviews mark it down for I haven't found to be an issue.

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/Tri...terReview.html

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Koch
    Rockler has the single speed Hitachi KM12SC, with fixed and plunge bases...a set of guides...and a case for $109.99! Should work well with your 4212. This is a sale price, so if you're interested, you might want to give them a call.

I'm looking at it, and I'm not sure the variable speed, at $179 for the same kit, is worth $70...

Then you could get the Bosch for your table and other needs and still be not that much over $300.
    I bought this router basically to reward Hitachi for the M12V fantasmo. I only use it out of the table and couldn't be more pleased. That said, I really have no need for variable speed in such a router, and in a table I think one definately wants variable speed control. But this is a great stand alone out-of-table router with both the plunge and fixed bases, and it includes a ton of template guides.
    Last edited by John Kain; 08-08-2006 at 9:49 AM.

Pc 690?

I noticed that several of you seem to prefer the PC 690. Any particular reason? Does it have some benefit that some of the other PC routers, such as the 895, don't?

Keith