Thread: Miter Saw Station

Miter Saw Station

I've battled and battled with finding a home for my BIG miter saw (Dewalt 12" sliding compound) and need to find a new solution. I have the dewalt stand for it, but it's really meant for carpenters to use in the field.

Of course, I am tight on space. (who isn't?)

Anyone have a big saw like this with a station that works well? Considerations in order of priority are:
    1. Space
    2. Stock support
    3. Dust collection

Any tips would be appreciated. Of course, pix would be wonderful!

Portable Station`

I purchased an inexpensive Ryobi 12" miter saw last year and put a decent blade on it. My neighbor who hauled it in his pickup suggested I buy the Rigid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle. You can see it at this link: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24

I have used it quite a bit and when not in use, it folds up with the Saw attached and can be wheeled into a corner of the shop. It has been next door at my neighbors the last month or so as he builds a utility shed. Basically real easy to move around and has adjustable wood support stands on each side.

Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

I bought the Harbor Freight mobile station. It was cheap - $49 on sale. Works fine for me. Like the Ryobi it has adjustable workpiece extensions on both sides and it folds up and is easy to move around.

I have my eye on the dual tool station in ShopNotes issue #75. It supports a miter saw and/or planner with folding wings for stock support and a removable fence for the saw. I like the fact that it's mobile in the shop but more substantial than the folding stand I currently have. It's also efficient with space by storing and supporting two tools instead of just one. You may find this back issue at Woodcraft or in the Annual Bound Volume 13 now sold on the ShopNotes web site.
    Jeremy Gibson

Steve -

Same problem here. Of all my tools, the SCMS is the hardest to fit into my 2-car shop/garage. The slides require it to stand out so far from the wall. I've rearranged my shop multiple times, but still can't find that sweet spot for the smcs.
    A couple things that helped;

1. Put the stand next to the garage door. With the door open, the sliders will not be hitting a wall, and mother nature takes care of the dust collection.

2. Raise the stand up a few inches and put it on wheels. This will help lift the dewalt stand's horizontal frame above the height of the cabinet saw, bandsaw and router tables, eliminating a lot of space contention.

If you can see through the junk, you will see my dewalt in the background of the open door photo. The second pic shows the door closed and the stand on wheels.

I'd also be interested in seeing how other people with limited space set theirs up.

Thanks for posting.
    rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry

Rick, I looked very very closely at that picture with the door closed, and I cannot for the life of me find that SCMS. I did however see an interesting picture tacked onto the door.
    Mark

I think this is the one from Popular woodworking. It may have been shopnotes though. It's got a small shop vac in the cabinet that runs off of one of these switches from
    Sears: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
    You can put a tape measure and stop-slot in the wings. The saw sits on a platform that adjusts the table up to the wing height. I can remove the saw and platform and put my mortiser on there instead.

It's been an excellent addition to my shop.

Good luck!

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heres another one similar to the one above, just make to fit you mitre saw size. http://www.woodstore.net/mobmitcen.html

Quote Originally Posted by rick fulton
    Steve -

Same problem here. Of all my tools, the SCMS is the hardest to fit into my 2-car shop/garage. The slides require it to stand out so far from the wall. I've rearranged my shop multiple times, but still can't find that sweet spot for the smcs.
    A couple things that helped;

1. Put the stand next to the garage door. With the door open, the sliders will not be hitting a wall, and mother nature takes care of the dust collection.

2. Raise the stand up a few inches and put it on wheels. This will help lift the dewalt stand's horizontal frame above the height of the cabinet saw, bandsaw and router tables, eliminating a lot of space contention.

If you can see through the junk, you will see my dewalt in the background of the open door photo. The second pic shows the door closed and the stand on wheels.

I'd also be interested in seeing how other people with limited space set theirs up.

Thanks for posting.
    rick

Rick, is that a DW708? Boy-O-Boy do I miss my 708. I just sold my Makita, FINALLY, and I'm looking for another 708. I've found one online store that sells it but they want more for it than everyone used to charge for it and it's the old model.

Anyway, nice shop you've got there.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Dw 708

My brother and I just picked up a 708 for $499 at Dixieline lumber. I don't know if you would have one of those near you. I've seen them for $599 at Orchard Supply Hardware. Both prices are considerably less than I found them online.
    Ed

Steve,
    I have the same stand that Mike Hill posted about, with a DW-708 mounted on it. You just have to replace the mounting screws that come with the stand with ones a bit longer and more substantial. Drill 4 hols and spend a few minutes assembling the stand and you are up and running.

This is mine.

I usually keep it stowed vertically and folded and it takes up no more space than a drill press. When I want to use it for really long stock, I pop the garage door open and roll her outside to the drive way. Yes, I have a really small single car, not truck, garage. The big wheels make it easy to move even over the 3" drop from the garage floor to the driveway.
    Frank Howell
    AKA: Ice Pirate

"Slow is Fast, Fast is Slow"

'I love the smell of sawdust in the moring, it smells like, victory.'