Thread: Pen Turning & Polyurethane Glue

Pen Turning & Polyurethane Glue

This is a question that's probably been asked already somewhere, so apologies for asking the question again. Here in the UK, what's the best brand of polyurethane glue to use for pen making and where can I buy? Currently I'm using CA glue but I've read a lot of good reports on polyurethane and wish to give it a try.

Not living in the UK, I don't know what you have available, but if you can get Gorilla Glue, as long as gloves are used, has done well by me.

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of using it exclusively. Been having too many problems lately with CA. The only two hangups with Poly are: VERY MESSY and Slow dry time.

Hope this helps. I know others have more experience.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Nichola, I use Gorilla glue with good results. I don't know what brands are available in the UK, any brand will work. I would suggest that you rough the tubes a little also with coarse sandpaper to aid adhesion. I have noticed that ocassionaly the Polyurethane tends to move the tubes a little, so you need to recess the tube into the blank a little to insure that the ends come out even. It is a little messy, and I wear rubber gloves to keep it off my hands, it will cause your fingers to turn black, and it has to wear off, usually a day or two, don't ask me how I know this.
    I have also used 5 minute epoxy with good results and it is a little faster turn around time if you are in a hurry.
    I usually glue up my blanks in the evening and turn them the next morning.
    Chuck

Nichola I also use Gorilla or Pro Bond Poly glue. I wear gloves because it is messy and dampen the insides of the blanks for the glue to cure. It works well and I think better than CA. I will use CA if I am in a hurry and need to get one out fast.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Locktite has a new glue out called Sumo, its a little thinner than gorilla and sets up a lot faster. It also foams a lot less so is less messy.

Hi,

I also use Gorilla glue almost exclusively. As noted, just plan ahead and you will be fine.

My procedure is:
    1. Apply Gorilla glue in the hole and spread evenly with bamboo skewer. (Note, I don't moisten it since wood always have moisture anyway. More moisture means more bubbling)
    2. Roughen the tubes with sandpaper, insert it just a bit and put more GG on it as close as possible to the wood blanks hole.
    3. Insert slowly, rotating as you go. There should be a glob of GG evenly around the tube which it will pull in as you insert. If there is none, add more glue.
    4. Leave the tubed blank on top of paper (I use double layers of old newspaper) for easy clean up. GG does foam and will be messy.
    5. The following day, I cut the excess with a knife and clean inside the tube with dull thin knife. It may go in about 1/4".

Hope this helps .
    Dario

If you're going to use ploy glue I recommend 5 minute epoxy. I've switched from poly glue and CA to epoxy completely.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Thanks for all the replies guys

I guess the majority of people are either using the Gorilla glue or the epoxy 2 part method, just wish I knew what the equivalent is to Gorilla glue here in the uk the only brand name I've just come across so far is 'Rhino Bond' which I've just found out is a Polyurethane Wood Adhesive - I guess that sounds like it might do the job. the cost seems to be about £7.00 UK pounds for 500ml....but thanks for all the replies, and I'm sure as my pen turning experience grows, I'm going to be asking plenty of questions on the forum.

Nichola I might add that if you use the polyurethane glue or epoxy, you might want to plug the inside of the pen tubes with something to keep the glue out of it as you are inserting it into the blank. I use plumbers putty myself it's cheap and works well, modeling clay will also work for this job. After the glue dries just insert a small dowel in the tube to clear it out.
    Chuck

I'm another one in the 5-minute epoxy camp. It gives me a bit more working time than CA, it doesn't expand and potentially move the tubes like poly, and I haven't had a problem waiting an hour or so before turning the pen. (Gives me an excuse to take a break and go eat supper. Sometimes I get so involved in the shop, I forget to eat. LOML thinks I'm a freak of nature, because I forget to eat. )

- Vaughn

Do you plug both ends of the tube with the clay or plumber putty or just one of them