Thread: Insulating a pole barn

Insulating a pole barn

We are getting closer to either buying or building a new house. My new shop will likely be a pole barn. Local codes now require a 42" footer on all frame buildings over 400sqft and no one wants to even quote a price on a frame building.

What I can't find out about a pole barn is how to insulate. Anyone up north have a pole barn you insulated? How did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    We are getting closer to either buying or building a new house. My new shop will likely be a pole barn. Local codes now require a 42" footer on all frame buildings over 400sqft and no one wants to even quote a price on a frame building.

What I can't find out about a pole barn is how to insulate. Anyone up north have a pole barn you insulated? How did you do it?
    my shop is a pole barn 6x6 poles 2x6's around the outside I used 1 1/2 foam board in between the 2x6's then tyvec house wrap then T-1-11 siding,,,, on the inside I used 3/4 inch foil foam board foil toward the inside then osb,,,,,, use the pink or denser foam board not the cheaper white its worth spending alittle more I made that mistake on the outside foam board,,,,,the shop is easy to heat no drafts,,,, I have picture of my shop being built at
    http://community.webshots.com/user/98mike
    Last edited by Mike Evertsen; 09-30-2003 at 1:19 AM.
    Mike

My shop is built similar to Mikes except I used the rolls of fiberglass insulation tihe plastic on one side like they use in metal/ag buildings. I then put metal siding on and my shop stays very dry and somewhat warm. The installation was easy, just take the big roll and go from the ground on one side over the top to the ground on the other side.
    Hal

I built mine like Mike, only I used 1.5" Dow blue board between and 1" on the inside. I then put R19 fiberglas in the ceiling with 1" styrofoam. My building was 30'x32'x12' and I could heat with a portable propane heater (30k to 80k set on low). Chris

Well, if we can get the house we looked at tonight, I will be insulating an existing pole barn. 30'x48'x12', concrete floor for the 1st 32', 100A electric, water, etc. I would build a wall at the end of the concrete and use the back for storage. The front would be insulated and heated with a full ceiling. I'll need the back for the tractor to take care of the 10 acres. Oh, and nice house too. Keeping my fingers crossed we can sell our house SOON!