Thread: Finishing and safety

Finishing and safety

I was doing some research on Lacquer and safety when I ran into the following article. Considering all the health hazards of lacquer, what are other comparative finishes which are safer.

I personally like Polyurethane a lot if applied in thin coats, it starts getting that plasticy look if you go beyond 2 coats, and I generally wipe it on which keeps it even thinner. Lately I have painted a few tables and am in the process of lacquer coating them. Let me tell you that thing stinks, I am only using a paper based mask. But I do work in an open garage and have a fan running behind the work surface blowing outwards.

So are there any safer top coats which give lacquer like results.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

The trend is to water-borne finishes (which are largely acrylic-based) as they have low- to no-VOC and are much safer to work with. Many of them have desireable properties like the finishes they replace. For example, Target Coatings USL "burns in" like NC Lacquer.

Personally, I only spray water-borne. I'll occasionally wipe on something oil-based, but it's a rare thing. I brush shellac, although I may try spraying it when I can have the doors open for additional ventilation. (The alcohol fumes can be cloying)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Because of VOC emissions water based finishes will become more common and cheaper.

I do not however agree that water based finishes are any more safe to the user. In fact, some of the components of "water based" finishes are just as bad as the finishes they replace. In fact a major problem is that users believe water based finishes are safter because they are water based and don't wear respirators when spraying.

The only increase in safety comes from less risk of fire.

The problem is that often times Pro's don't feel like using their PPE when doing these jobs because it is uncomfortable, a pain etc. etc. Also a lack of training leads to users not understanding that they need ventilation via explosion proof fans when doing floors and they need to put out any ingition sources.

But the bigger/real question still remains, what are safe top coat options? Jim mentioned "Target Coatings USL", what else is out there?
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

>> But the bigger/real question still remains, what are safe top coat options?

No, the real question is how to protect yourself when using any finish. As said, there are solvents in waterborne finishes that can be hazardous if the product is used in an enclosed area. Ask any painter an you find that many get "light headed" after a day of painting house interiors using waterborne latex paint.

OSHA will say that any finish can be dangerous and the finisher should wear a proper respirator. The paper "nuisance" masks are useless. You need a properly fitted respirator with the vapor cartidge for the chemicals you want protection from.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson
    OSHA will say that any finish can be dangerous and the finisher should wear a proper respirator. The paper "nuisance" masks are useless. You need a properly fitted respirator with the vapor cartidge for the chemicals you want protection from.
    Ok, what would be a good source to study face masks and filter cartridges etc. I have the Jeff Jewitt finishing book (one of them that it). I will read the section on safety. Any on-line sources which provide such information. BTW I found this article by Jeff, which has quite a bit of useful info.