Thread: Poly over poly

Poly over poly

I just finished a piece with Minwax clear satin poly. I am not satisfied with the results.
    Can I go one more coat of high gloss poly to get that glossy look, or will it still remain a satin look with a coat of high gloss?

I thought I wanted the satin look but after I did it , I now decided that the glossy look would work best. Am I stuck with what I have got or is there hope in the waiting?

Thanks for reading and any help, Doug

Doug, you can apply the Gloss Poly over the Satin Finish Poly. Just lightly scuff the surface and make sure to tack it off good to remove the fine sanding dust before the recoat. The single coat of Gloss Poly will probably provide the gloss you are looking for. Just make sure the products are compatible.......if you are using the same Minwax Poly, you will be fine. What are you putting the Poly finish on? We ARE going to see a picture, AREN'T we?

Gloss can be tricky....

I can't achieve a gloss job at the shop without buffing. Something is gonna land on it before it dries. A micro piece of lint looks like an elephant in it when it dries. You need to be in a dust free environment to have a perfect finish. I sincerely wish you luck.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Doug, Phil has a good point regarding Poly attracting "stuff" before it tacks off. One thing you may want to consider for a Gloss Poly, or Satin, for that matter, on future projects is Minwax Polycrylic Polyurethane. The Polycrylic is a Water Based product, and I find that it attracts much less dirt and dust. This can be attributed to the fact that the Polycrylic will tack off in less than an hour, and in some cases, in can be recoated in about 2 hours. I have used Polycrylic on many things, and I find it easy to work with, and very durable. The Gloss has as good a shine as the solvent based Poly. I have found that a Foam Brush is the best method for applying Polycrylic. Like all Poly, just don't over brush, and you will have an oustanding, durable finish. Oh, by the way, the clean-up with warm water is a plus as well! Good Luck Doug, let us know how it turns out for you.

Thanks guys,
    I started out putting 3 coats of a 50/50 mix of Minwax fast drying satin poly/ napatha on my project. Then went to a single coat of 75 poly/ 25 napatha mix on. I just didn't get the shine I was use to with my other projects. So lastly I went to a single coat of Minwax fast drying gloss poly (no mix). Lightly going over each cured coat with 0000 steel wool. I'll have to go look tomorrow after work to see if I got the shine I'm looking for. If not I may go one more coat of gloss poly.
    Any how thanks for the replies., Doug

Oh and Kevin, the project is not a round thingy, are you sure you care to see it. I mean flat stuff must be kind of boring to ya by now.

Just funnin ya, I'll have pics when done.