Thread: You hear these horror stories about the Internet and businesses

You hear these horror stories about the Internet and businesses

and then you meet some of the fine people at the Creek!

Last year following the death of my FIL I wanted to have something made for my MIL. I wanted a lasered photo on black marble. I contacted Keith Outten and he suggested a "young guy in Florida" that was doing good work. So....searching the threads here I found the young guy was Pete Simmons. I contacted Pete.....scanned in some photos; emailed them to Pete and Pete made an lasered black marble photo containing two pictures of my ILs. One was a wedding photo with my MIL and FIL who was in his Army uniform in the photo. The other photo was taken at their 60th wedding anniversary. The marble photo Pete lasered contained both pictures and as Pete put it at the time "It was haunting". At the same time I asked Pete to do the same with our latest family photo. Pete emailed me later saying he wasn't happy with the family photo but he didn't have anymore 12x10 (IIRC) black marble and couldn't get any more of good quality. He sent them both along to me and we negotiated what my wife and I thought was a good price for both lasered marble photos.

Last week after seeing me post a photo of my great granddaughter and I asleep together after dinner, Pete PMd me saying he was still bothered by that one family photo ....and if I would send him the pertinent information about my great grand daughter he'd make what's in the following photo at no cost to me. We sent the information to Pete Tuesday IIRC and look what the USPS delivered on Friday.

Pete.......We were happy before.....my wife, me, my granddaughter (Riley's Mom) and her husband are awed! Thank you! You really did good work and you really didn't have to do this!

If you need some lasering done......Check out Pete's business. I am not connected in anyway....just another happy customer!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-13-2006 at 12:54 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The WOW factor is way up on this one.
    Got a link to his site?

Doug.....look at the 2nd photo.....there's the web id.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones
    The WOW factor is way up on this one.
    Got a link to his site?
    I agree with doug, that a great suprise.

Doug the link is in the post.

I've had a few run-ins with Pete myself, and all I can say is he's a class act all the way around. We did several "joint venture" cutting boards last year, and he also sent my new bride and me a beautiful personalized plaque with an Apache blessing as a wedding gift. I need to get off my tail and send him the wedding picture I want to get engraved.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 08-13-2006 at 4:18 AM.

Yup...Pete is a good feller fer sure. It's folks like ALL of YOU that make SMC what it truly is. Peace and Blessings be upon ALL of YOU today.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Wow - Thanks

Thanks for all the kind words.
    A few notes...

1. The design and words for the Baby Plaque came from Master Engraver Ken Nelsen. I use them with his permission. The feet on the back are full size. On the front the feet are reduced in size to fit. I got one birth certificate that had the Mom's thumb print on it so I inclued that on the front.

Ken was my pen engraver before I got my laser. He then and still does not view me as competition but instead he continues to help me improve my laser abilities. Thanks Ken!

2. I wish I was the young guy in Florida but I am 57. Yes, young to some but old to others.

3. I see instances where I know one of my engravings will be a perfect fit and I just make it and give it to the person. I get enjoyment seeing how much they love it and I usually get some great advertizing. I also get to learn how to improve my work. Believe it or not, the free advertizing part is the least of my reasons. The real satisfaction is knowing the joy these items bring from something that will be part of these families forever.

I play a lot of golf. We recently had a local tournament where outside clubs were invited to play. I made them all divot tools with their name on it. When they were handed out most just walked away and then did a quick double take and remarked "it has my name on it!" One gentleman said he had played golf for 30 some years and this was the first personalized gift he had ever received. To be able to put a smile on a few faces for $0.30 -- What a deal.

4. You may have seen the Coat of Arms I recently posted. I am anxious to see the reaction of a local Corian shop when I give the owner and shop foreman a custom Coat of Arms next week. I hope they will give me a few Corian cut offs.

The Laser truly is a magic machine! To all of you here at SMC who encouraged me to buy one and then helped me learn how to use it over the last few years ---- A SPECIAL THANK YOU! and yes Keith is at the top of that list.
    Last edited by Pete Simmons; 08-13-2006 at 9:57 AM.

Beautiful work, Pete...I'm gonna have to be in touch...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...