Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing Nailer

Framing Nailer

If you were going to buy a framing nailer which one would you buy? Which ones would you avoid.

I see threads talking about the PC framing nailers. Are they the best of the bunch?

There is a deal at costco for a framing, finish, and brad nailer for $166. It is a Campbell Hausfield. I know Campbell Hausefield is not the best for compressors, but what about air tools? Would this be a mistake?

For reference I have a fairly small framing job (10X6 ft entryway additoin) to complete right away, but would want to have on on hand for future projects (Garage addition, shed, etc.). I would say my use would be low overall, but I am a dreamer and who knows what I'll try to build after the long dark winter which is approaching.
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps

Mine is a Senco...and it works great.

BTW, many jurisdictions no longer allow clipped-head nails, so a round-head nailer is probably a good idea. Even if they are still allowed where you are, that could change and the fasteners are not interchangeable in the guns. You need the right type of gun for a particular nail type.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have 2 senco framers, a coil and strip. I would suggest the strip nailer because it much lighter and more manueverable. I bought the shortest magazine that I could find (Senco has the smallest gun) with the highest nail driving power (cant remember the units but look on amazon and each gun is rated). This is important because some of the guns wont drive 12d nails flush in engineered lumber and that means a lot of chasing nails left high with the hammer. Most of my work is remodeling so a large magazine would be a hinderance and the small size allows the gun to go into tight spaces.

My strip nailer has no nail jam clearing mechanism and it has never jammed so I wouldnt obsess over that option when shopping.

The coil guns are great if you don't mind the weight but for the occasional
    user the short mag strip guns are the way to go.

As for the brands, I wouldn't skimp on what is definitely the hardest working tool you will own.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Ditto what Jim said. I have a Senco FramePro 702XP full head nailer, and it's worked great.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 08-14-2006 at 10:31 PM.

Ben's given you some good advice. I started my shop with a cordless Paslode, but quickly realized it's not a 'serious' tool. It's pretty good for occasional stuff, and I'm sure I'll find uses for it. But for any serious framing jobs, you want something with power, and for me a 'bump trigger' was mandatory.

I wound up getting a Paslode air gun, and have shot over ten cases of nails through it! It didn't jam once, and the way I abuse that thing, that says a lot! I do make a point of adding a drop of oil to it every morning before I shoot my first nail though.

Ben's right about power being important. The under pinnings of my shop is all engineered lumber, and I had my fill of going back over the not-quite-all-the-way-in 3" ring shank nails with my 28oz faming hammer. I think my problem was too small a hose, more than the gun not being powerful enough.

Since I'm using the gun for new construction, a small magazine would have been an annoyance. I like the fact that I can load two strips of nails into the gun at each reload.

If I had to do it again, I'd buy another Paslode...just not cordless.

- Marty -

I use a Bostitch coil and a PC FR350A. Both are excellent nailers. If you frame every day buy a Hitachi. Western tool (check their internet site has them on sale for $199. print the ad and take it to home depot for a price match plus 10% off

I bought a Senco Sn65 about 7 years ago when I started building my new shop. I asked the pro framing contractors that I ran into on construction sites what they recommended and the most popular we Senco and Hatachi. Most were Senco. a few use Stanly Bostitch, but they were mostly older guys that had always used them so why change. My Senco is a strip nailer that takes 60 nails at a time. I love it and only had one minor problem - it does not like Hatachi brand nails. The collating plastic is a tad thick and caused the nails to hang in the magazine. Brand "X" from my local lumber yard work great as do Senco branded nails.

http://www.juldan.com/juldan.html?tnfr_sn65.html

CPeter

As Jim said I am after a round head not clipped head as earthquakes do happen here in WA.
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps

Sam's club has a Bostitch round head nailer for $170.00 . Aleast they do around Buffalo

Ed

for framing paslode, all other air guns are senco...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Benante

There is a deal at costco for a framing, finish, and brad nailer for $166. It is a Campbell Hausfield. I know Campbell Hausefield is not the best for compressors, but what about air tools? Would this be a mistake?
    I bought a CH gun locally a few days ago.

http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/weba...egory_rn=10575

That one. Only about $100 Canadian. In comparison the Paslode at the big store was $400 or so.

I haven't had the CH gun for very long but it seems good enough for low volume user. Considering how low my volume is I doubt I'll break it in my lifetime.

I have the PC clipped head and it works fine or what I use it for. If I were to buy again i would go with the paslode so as to lose the air hose. The PC gets a little "heavy" after awhile.

13. I have a Hitachi NR83A, you will never where these things out.

Attachment 44869

When I bought it, I asked around, the almost all of the "Pro" framing guys told me the Hitachi was a workhorse and a half. I'm no pro, but I've shot a fair number of nails with it, I never once had a jam, but I understand that if it does jam, it is VERY easy to clear the jam.

It is not cheap, I bet the street price is around $300, but look for a used one, as these are hard to wear out. Look it up on Amazon or such, the nailer has a VERY good rep, and shoots a variety of nails, NOT just Hitachi nails.

I understand they have a newer one, NR83A2 and a NR90A or something.

A very good tool, it is light, under 8 lbs and it toe nails easily too, but, it is surely NOT a toy, but a GUN

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Benante
    If you were going to buy a framing nailer which one would you buy? Which ones would you avoid.

I see threads talking about the PC framing nailers. Are they the best of the bunch?

For reference I have a fairly small framing job (10X6 ft entryway additoin) to complete right away, but would want to have on on hand for future projects (Garage addition, shed, etc.). I would say my use would be low overall, but I am a dreamer and who knows what I'll try to build after the long dark winter which is approaching.
    I had a Hitachi 83a I bought used off Ebay -- ran great, used it to frame an addition, this was a tank. But I now use a Paslode Cordless. I disagree with the comment "it's not a serious tool" .. If I framed for a living, I would not use the Paslode, it's not fast enough. But the average homeowner who builds a shed, does remodeling, etc.. it's the perfect setup. No compressor, no hose, etc.. the biggest issue I have is that I don't use it often enough and occasionally when I go to use it the battery is dead and it's not a quick charger.. Therefore I bought an extra battery and keep it as a spare. You can also get full round head nails now for the paseloads too, as some locations don't let you use clip head nails. I've shot maybe 30 cases of nails through mine building half a dozen sheds for myself, scouts, neighbors, etc.. plus 350' of fence this month. Never missed a tick. You get about half a case per butane cylinder and another plus is the Paslode fits into some much tighter areas than long air powered stick nailer...
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

I have a Bostich clipped head nailer. Love it. I don't put it through the wear and tear a framing contractor would, but it has shot many boxes of nails with never a missfire.

All my pneumatic nailers are Bostich- Framing nailer, 15 ga finish nailer, 18ga 2" brad nailer, and 18 ga narrow crown stapler. All have proven to be workhorses with no trouble, and it would be a difficult sell to get me to ever buy anything else.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine