Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Slow setting plastic resin glue"

"Slow setting plastic resin glue"

what's the glue david marks uses when he's got a difficult glue up. he calls it a "slow setting plastic resin glue"
    thanx
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Brad,

Its probably something like Unibond 800.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lasley
    Brad,

Its probably something like Unibond 800.

Bob

unibond.........thanx bob
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Or DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin that comes in tubs that you mix with water. I use that for pretty much everything now. No raised glue lines or creep like you (I) get with yellow glues...

KC

Plastic Resin Glue

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hammond
    what's the glue david marks uses when he's got a difficult glue up. he calls it a "slow setting plastic resin glue"
    thanx
    brad
    Actually participated on a chat line with David Marks over on WoodNet this past Sunday and that question came up. He said it was Urac 185 from Highland Hardware.

Link: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...0=0&1=0&3=1659

Quite an interesting guy, and very nice.

GD
    "Let the wise listen, to add to their learning."
    GD
    Plano, TX

Slow Setting Plastic Resin Adhesive

For a 14 layer bentwood lamination project I tried DAP Resorcinol (the local Rockler only had two choices and the other one was $150 epoxy). Besides Resorcinol’s dark red color it is very difficult to mix to get rid of the hardener lumps, and it winds up being too viscous to spread very thin.

URAC 185, and also Unibond 800 both involve the same process as the Resorcinol of adding a powdered hardener to a liquid resin, so I may still have the same viscosity problem. DAP Weldwood says it is to be mixed with water which hopefully would give better viscosity control.

Has anyone tried these?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    URAC 185, and also Unibond 800 both involve the same process as the Resorcinol of adding a powdered hardener to a liquid resin, so I may still have the same viscosity problem. DAP Weldwood says it is to be mixed with water which hopefully would give better viscosity control.

Has anyone tried these?
    I use Unibond 800 quite a lot. The catalyst mixes into the resin quite easily. I find that if I stir it, let it slake for a few minutes, and stir it again, there's no lumps.

I use it for veneering, and spread it with a throwaway foam roller. It rolls out quite nicely.

8. I've used DAP Weldwood, and mixing can be a chore if the glue is old. The first tub I bought was sitting in a hardware store for a few years. But the fresh tub I bought worked very well. Instructions for use are at the DAP Site, as well as the MSDS. Some people get a "contact dermititis" from it, so you should wear latex or vinyl gloves.

The tech bulletin at that link provides the way to mix; measure out equal amounts of water and powder, pour 2/3 of the water into a mixing container, add the powder and mix, then slowly add remaining water. Pot life is about 4 hours. DAP recommends it for things like cutting boards, and chopping blocks, so the cured glue is OK for those things.

Weldwood plastic resin glue. It comes in powder and mix in water. You wont find it at typical hardware store like Lowes or HD. Couple of my local lumber yards carry it, Austin and Ganahl.

Unibond 800, Weldwood or any of the powder mixes...if you are a cook, mix like a roux. For the non-cooks, mix powder and a little of the liquid into a thick paste. Mix until smooth then add whatever amount of the liquid you need...no lumps...smooth as gravy should be.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

11. Quote Originally Posted by tom tangie View Post
    Weldwood plastic resin glue. It comes in powder and mix in water. You wont find it at typical hardware store like Lowes or HD. Couple of my local lumber yards carry it, Austin and Ganahl.
    I found it at my local ACE Hardware, and at a local lumber store. Its also available from aircraft building supplies (amateur airplane builders love it ... Aircraft Spruce carries it). Also Amazon.com as item number B001003J16.

Urac 185 has a 30 minute open time.... not that much complex glue ups.... so whats the big appeal?

Dap Weldwood has 120 minute open time....

LV has Cold Cure Glue, 30 minute open time?

I am sure DM knows what he is doing.... can anyone explain the appeal to the Urac 185?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Urac 185 has a 30 minute open time.... not that much complex glue ups.... so whats the big appeal?

Dap Weldwood has 120 minute open time....

LV has Cold Cure Glue, 30 minute open time?

I am sure DM knows what he is doing.... can anyone explain the appeal to the Urac 185?
    Maybe he's just more comfortable with it; most of us quit experimenting with new products when we find something that works. I've used Weldwood urea-formaldehyde plastic resin glue before, and like it, so maybe Mark's is in that same position.

I know I've still been assembling/adjusting for around 45 minutes with Urac185 without problems.

If you're like me, if you're still assembling/adjusting after 45 minutes, you didn't do very good planning beforehand....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hammond View Post
    thanx
    brad
    Here's his own words and a PDF.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good