Thread: A different kind of bowl **PICS**

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

A different kind of bowl **PICS**

I picked up a chunk of cedar while at the Hatfield BBQ and turned a bowl from it last week. While turning the inside of the bowl and talking with my sawyer buddy who dropped by for me to do a small project for him (at the same time mind ya) I turned right through the bottom of the bowl into the recess area made to mount on my Nova chuck.

Oh what do I do now ? I let the thing sit for awhile and then I guess I got carried away with my creativity genes.

First I mounted the bowl on my Cole Jaws and trued up the hole in the bottom. Then I turned a round thing-a-ma-jiggy (actually half of a 2 ½" ball) and glued into the inside bowl bottom. I didn't like how the bottom of the bowl looked so I decided to take what was left of the cedar and make a pedestal to add to the bowl. The pics show the end result.

The bowl turned out to be 8 ½" diameter and 6 ½" tall. The cedar acted just like a large spounge when applying Minwax Tung Oil Finish. As fast as I could apply it it was totally soaked up. I ended up putting 6 applications of oil and a coat of Minwax Finishing Wax.

After I finished the bowl I still had a chunk left over from the piece I made the pedestal from - so I turned a small keepsake box (3 ½" dia x 4 ½" tall) from that. As usual, I inserted a signature logo medallion in both pieces.

The pictures actually do not do justice to these pieces. The cedar had some really nice figure in it which was nicely highlighted my the oil/wax finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-03-2003 at 12:20 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Nice save Ken!

You mean after all those pen turning demos - you still can't yap & turn at the same time

That would make a nice raised center piece for someone's dinner table.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

That is very nice Ken. The cedar does have some beautiful grain.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Very creative and beautiful. My mistakes which are frequent usually end up in the scrap heap. Thanks for sharing.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Impressive

Impressive!

_Aaron_

Ken,

Good save and nice turnings. If that was out of that big slab of cedar at Terry's, its been in an attic for 30 years. Might explain why it soaked up so much of that oil!

BTW, how did it turn?

Bob

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lasley
    Ken,

Good save and nice turnings. If that was out of that big slab of cedar at Terry's, its been in an attic for 30 years. Might explain why it soaked up so much of that oil!

BTW, how did it turn?

Bob
    Turned easy and sanded nicely ! ! !
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Hi Ken

The compote is perfect! You are developing quite a style of your own.

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Ken,

WOW!!!!! Good job and a nice save!!! I'm glad I got a big chunk of Bob's cedar left. I gotta try turning some of that my self.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Ken,

Great looking work as usual. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

An old woodworker once told me that a good craftsman is one who can creatively fix his mistakes and come out looking like he did it on purpose.
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

that's good stuff.

wow. just plain wow.

but i'm still not getting a lathe ...

b

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schafer
    wow. just plain wow.
    I agree with Brad: WOW! Nice save and additional creativity.

Give it up, Brad. You WILL get a lathe!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Nice work Ken..............and GREAT save! The Cedar is really beautiful, and I'll bet you can't beat the smell when turning it. The finish is very nice also. I really like the box, it sure is neat. Nice job, as always. Thanks for sharing the pic's Ken!

Great work, Ken.
    Every deed plants a seed.