Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murphy Bed

Murphy Bed

Hi Folks

I'm considering building a murphy bed. Anyone built one? Any recomendations on which hardware to use or which to avoid? Anyone have any pictures that might give me some ideas.

Thanks
    Jonathan

Check out Create-A-Bed. I bought from them to build a queen size 10 years ago. I think Rocker carries exactly the same things.

It does look expensive - just a few hardware parts and a simple plan for $280. But by the time you collect all the individual parts of comparable quality, you'll spend that much anyway, plus your time.

I've done a few. The Haefle mechanism is definetly superior, but also expensive. The legs retract automatically (can be important to the design), and much easier to use, both in the construction and in everyday use.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Murphy Bed

Here's a couple of pics of one I did. I used the create a bed package. They are on the web at www.wallbed.com

The instructions and video that come with the package are great. Tech support was great, too. I had to set the project aside when it was half done due to competing priorities, would up misplacing a few small parts. They mailed me new ones with no charge and no hassle. I would definitely do business with them again.

One thing to think about, the project is BIG. There is one piece that is the size of the length and width of the mattress and several pieces that are the length of the mattress, so you will have components all over the shop before you assemble it. There are a couple of stages at which you will need help to lift and place parts.

Having said all that, we love the bed and our company likes it too. The bed is very firm, so we added an extra pad to the mattress to soften it up a little. You know how some folks put a sheet of plywood under their mattress to make it extra firm - well that's exactly what a murphy bed is.

Sorry for the quality of the pics, the room isn't big enough to get a good focus on the whole bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm another satisified customer of Create-a-bed. I've built two queen-sized beds with their kit. It works well. IIRC, Lee Valley had the lowest price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud
    One thing to think about, the project is BIG. There is one piece that is the size of the length and width of the mattress and several pieces that are the length of the mattress, so you will have components all over the shop before you assemble it. There are a couple of stages at which you will need help to lift and place parts.
    Another happy CreateABed/Rockler customer here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27677
    It is possible for one person to do this unaided...in retrospect, probably not the brightest thing I've ever done, but so it goes.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I saw a murphy bed by the "original" murphy bed company at a home and garden show. It was different from the "create-a-bed" system, in that much was pre-created by using various metal components. Only the cabinet had to be made by the woodworker. I liked what I saw, and thought about buying the kit (probably twice as expensive as the create-a-bed).
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Moehlenpah
    I saw a murphy bed by the "original" murphy bed company at a home and garden show. It was different from the "create-a-bed" system, in that much was pre-created by using various metal components. Only the cabinet had to be made by the woodworker. I liked what I saw, and thought about buying the kit (probably twice as expensive as the create-a-bed).
    Ok, I'm confused. What do you mean by "components" and "cabinet"? (As opposed to the components that come in the CreateABed kit and the cabinet that you have to build for it.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

By components, I don't just mean the mechanisms. In this kit, the frame itself is metal, and you bolt it together. The leg mechanism is complete, you don't have to build the little legs and mechanisms. The frame is then attached to the outside plywood that is the finished side of the bed. There is a lot less woodworking in this kit than in the create-a-bed version.

Ed

By components, I don't just mean the mechanisms. In this kit, the frame itself is metal, and you bolt it together. The leg mechanism is complete, you don't have to build the little legs and mechanisms. The frame is then attached to the outside plywood that is the finished side of the bed. There is a lot less woodworking in this kit than in the create-a-bed version.
    Ok.

Given the way mine was designed, I'm not sure it would have been much less work overall: the platform was trivial compared to the towers and the bridge connecting them, and I didn't use the CAB legs.

I'd like to see a detailed picture of how you didn't use the CAB legs. disclaimer: I bought a CAB a long time ago, and the project has languished in my shop - waiting for the leg mechanisms to be built/installed. I saw the other murphy bed at the show, and am intrigued into changing my mind.

I'd like to see a detailed picture of how you didn't use the CAB legs. disclaimer: I bought a CAB a long time ago, and the project has languished in my shop - waiting for the leg mechanisms to be built/installed. I saw the other murphy bed at the show, and am intrigued into changing my mind.
    It's on that thread I linked to upstream aways. I just put a fixed shelf on the bottom of the platform where the feet would normally be installed: when the bed is closed, it's at about the 6' mark, about 7" deep. The latch release cords come out under the shelf just inside the supports, with small lamp pulls on the ends.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the info the the pics.

Craig - Any idea where to get that Haefle mechanism? I could not find anything on the web.

Jesse - beautiful job. I love the cabinet. Did you use ply or soild wood on the cabinet? How about the bed box. I read somewhere that particle board or ply is recomended for the bed box. Just curious is it walnut?

Jamie, How was the documentation/instructions/plans with the LV kit? Any pics for ideas??

Lee, Great looking bed. I really like the shelf/leg and the built in nightstand. Was construction of the torsion box covered in the plans or was it you own design?

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan snyder
    Was construction of the torsion box covered in the plans or was it you own design?
    That was all covered in the instructions that came with the CAB hardware kit. (As a "side effect", the internal torsion-box structure ties together the two pieces of plywood that form the bottom of the platform: anything except a twin is wider than a single 4x8 sheet.)

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan snyder
    Jamie, How was the documentation/instructions/plans with the LV kit? Any pics for ideas??
    The create-a-bed parts collection (which you can buy from several sources including Lee Valley) comes with a plan and construction instructions. IIRC, there are pics on the create-a-bed site about ways to dress it up a little. The plan is very good, and very clear. That said, I didn't follow the plan, but took off from it to make my own -- surprise, surprise.