Thread: gloat and question

gloat and question

so, i went to scouts last night and what did i see? a pile of walnut!!!! i said, nope nope nope, cant use this for fire wood inside """"its a hazard""""
    so i loaded up the trunk of my car, and now i have some walnut, mainly crotches. i will get pictures later, but this is that "colored" walnut, nnot the plain brown stuff, this has the really nice colors to it like that big dish/bowl i broke that toolrest on so long ago.

now here is the question, this is the first time i have waxed any peices, i dont have any old pots or pans around but i did have one of those huge boyscout popcorn tins sitting around, so i put to pounds of wax in it and put it on the grill. it works really well on the side burner, but 2-3 of the ends wont fit in the tin, either because of size or the angle of the cut edge. is there a way to apply wax with out a pot or pan? also how many coats of wax should go on? the peices i did cover, i set in the wax till is sizzled then took it out.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Hi Curtis,

Yes, I generally use just a paint brush to brush the wax on. Can't have the wax too hot or you'll shrivel up/curl/burn the bristles, though. But it works fine for me, melt the wax to liquid, paint it on, let dry. Usually I just do one coat on just ends. Seems like lots of people dip their blanks; I generally only wax ends with a brush, works aok.

Best to you!

Jude

3. Curtis.....Do yourself a favor and get some Anchorseal. It is far easier to use than wax, not to mention more effective.....Besides, melting wax can present a danger. If you try and melt parrafin directly over a flame, it could burst into flames. Wax can be safely melted using a double boiler.

I agree with Harvey. The last two symposiums I attended had one of the vendors selling anchorseal in plain gallon jugs they filled themselves. They probably buy in the 55 gal drums and can make a profit selling at $8/gal.
    God is great and life is good!

+1 to what Harvey said. Paraffin can be dangerous, especially in a thin container. if it spills and gets on you, you could be severly burned. It can also make it hard to ever get on a commercial airline flight again. (Sorry, it's a long ugly story.)
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Anchorseal

Some please tell me where I can buy anchorseal for eight dollars per gallon.

Local stores want $19.

art jordan

$24 here in Michigan
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Quote Originally Posted by Art Jordan View Post

Local stores want $19.

art jordan
    Art, To get it down to $8 -$10 a gallon you need to find a bunch of people to go together and buy a 50 gal drum and them divide it up amongst the group. I bought 5 gallons for $75 with free shipping so that is $15 per gallon. So if a place really sells it for $8 that is one heck of a deal!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Art, To get it down to $8 -$10 a gallon you need to find a bunch of people to go together and buy a 50 gal drum and them divide it up amongst the group. I bought 5 gallons for $75 with free shipping so that is $15 per gallon.
    Getting the Anchorseal from the 55 gal drum into gallon jugs is a messy job if you don't have the right equipment.
    Gordon

how much does wet walnut warp/crack? i was going to try to turn a couple thin peices.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis if you don't seal the ends it will crack pretty bad in some cases. I have had some that would crack as deep as 2" in a few days.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Jordan View Post

Local stores want $19.

art jordan

Art, you can buy it for about $70 for a 5gal. bucket--its $59.50 for 5 gallons of the regular, but I bought the "winterized" formula last time--its made with glycol added so that it won't freeze. If the regular formula freezes, its ruined--it separates and can't be mixed back up again. Its worth it for me to spend the extra $5. It flows a bit better in the winterized formula as well.

https://www.uccoatings.com/Home/WebS...roductSKU=AS5G

Curtis, I put on one very thick coat on blanks, and two coats on log ends. If I'm going to be keeping something around for a long time and not turning it within a few months I put two coats on the end grain.
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 04-02-2009 at 12:55 PM.