Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Mission mesquite' stuff (lotsa large pics)

'Mission mesquite' stuff (lotsa large pics)

Here's a few pics of a bed I sprayed this afternoon, and some other 'Mission' stuff I'm trying to get finished for the annual Mesquite Art Festival (next weekend, 10-12 October in Fredericksburg...come visit!).

I've been very fortunate lately to have found some beautifully figured mesquite to go along with some fine curly maple from Mike Mastin at Curly Woods.

The next pic is a closeup of the maple figure and some of the 'swirly' mesquite.

After seeing what the head and footboards looked like, I decided I had to spend the money and get some 8/4 curly maple for the rails, too. The maple is capped top and bottom with mesquite, and the 1/4" angle iron is inset in a rabbet at the bottom of the maple. The bottom mesquite trim also provides a ledge for the iron.

I made a pair of nitestands to go with the bed...

Here's a corner plant stand that I think is pretty neat. The upper apron is a bent lamination of seven pieces of 1/8" mesquite, the outside piece figured. The slats on this are highly figured mesquite. I also made a cherry and curly maple one like this.

Here's a 20x30 oval coffee/occasional table. The slats are highly figured, and like the nitestands, the lower shelf is mortised through the stretcher.

As usual, everything here is finished with WATCO natural danish oil (for the initial coloring), then topped with Sherwin Williams pre-cat Dull Rubbed Effect lacquer.

Thanks for looking...

KC
    Last edited by Kirk (KC) Constable; 10-04-2003 at 7:29 AM.

KC,

I know that I sound like a broken record when I respond to pictures of your craftsmanship, but what the hey!

AWESOME!

One of these days I’m going to try my hand at some mesquite.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow! I especially like that bed. It's incredibly attractive with the contrasting materials...which takes it well beyond "Mission"! Great work, KC...very inspiring.

BTW, I forgot you were down in the SAT area or I would have tried to get together earlier this week when I was in San Antonio. I may get back there in early November and if it looks like I have enough time to get together, I'll let you know...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-03-2003 at 10:46 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yup

agree with Jim - contrasts are outstanding. very nice work,

b

Wow

Hey Kirk, if I could ask where did you find the plans for the bed I have been wanting to make my daughter one but can never locate the plans and is it for a queen size or double. By the way truely awsome work thanks David

Nice looking wares KC. Hope you sell a million of them! Todd.

Bed Plans

I know that Woodsmith has a plan very similar if not almost the same in one of thier issues. I built one from qtr white oak.

Quote Originally Posted by George
    I know that Woodsmith has a plan very similar if not almost the same in one of thier issues. I built one from qtr white oak.
    Right...I didn't use the Woodsmith plan, but looked at the cover picture and kinda went from there. I don't like the way they 'fake' the mortises in the plan, and prefer to cut them. This is a queen bed. All the slats have tenons, also...and are chamfered on all four edges. That got pretty tedious...especially the worrying about when the figure of the wood was gonna catch on the bit and make a big nasty. So I made one extra slat for both the head and footboards just in case (didn't need 'em tho).

KC

KC

I really like the contrast of maple and mesquite, but my favorite is the cofee table. You da man! As usual great pieces.

Terry

KC it all looks great but the coffee table is just gorgeous.

Dave

Great work KC!

I was hoping to attend the Mesquite Festival this coming week, but my wife's sisters condition may not allow this unfortunately. Hope that you reap tons of orders! Again super work as always.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Cool

Good grief, KC, you're like a regular machine!!! Sheeeesh, man, it would take me the better part of a year to put out that much finery! Beautiful job on ALL the pieces! You must've struck the main vein with all that gorgeous wood, too. Very nice, indeed!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

KC, as always, simply awesome results! All of the pieces are outstanding, but I agree with the others.............the coffee table is just knock-yer-eyes-out gorgeous. The contrast of the wood couldn't be more beautiful. If these don't sell like hotcakes, there is something seriously wrong with the folks that view them. Thanks again for sharing your fine work...........it is inspirational to put it mildly!

Spectacular

KC -

Usual - spectacular job! I especially like the use of the curly mesquite. (Though, have never seen any "live".) Very attractive design and presentation.

Ted

Wonderful Work

Hi KC,

I was wondering what you had been up to, I had not seen you post in awhile. Now I know. These are excellent works, I like them alll, I especially like the bed and the fine details, the spindles all look like you picked and placed them based on a continouis pattern.

The detail that most appeals to me in the bed are the square facceted pegs, could you please detail how you created and put them into the piece, I have that detail in mind for a set of Morris Chairs I am currently building, as usual, I always learn a great deal from your work.

Take Care,
    Jim